Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include the history of medicine, health, civil and criminal law and disability; history of mission, especially medical missionaries; history of welfare, charity, and philanthropy. Also, Indian history, particularly early colonial South India and early colonial state formation, and Pacific history, particularly history of health and medicine.
- Buckingham J. (2008) Leprosy in Colonial South India: Medicine and Confinement [eBook]. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 248. http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/9781403932730.
- Buckingham J. (2002) Leprosy in Colonial South India: Medicine and Confinement. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 236pp.
- Chambers ST., Ioteba N., Timeon E., Rimon E., Murdoch H., Green J., Trowbridge E., Buckingham J., Cunanan A. and Williman J. (2020) Surveillance of leprosy in Kiribati, 1935-2017. Emerging Infectious Diseases 26(5): 833-840. http://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2605.181746.
- Buckingham J. (2017) Indenture and the Indian experience of leprosy on Makogai Island, Fiji. The Journal of Pacific History 52(3): 325-342. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00223344.2017.1371107.
- Luker V. and Buckingham J. (2017) Histories of Leprosy: subjectivities, community, and Pacific worlds. Leprosy in the Pacific: Special Issue Journal of Pacific History 52(3): 265-286. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00223344.2017.1379124.
On leave in Semester 1, 2017