Disabled parking is provided throughout the campus. Designated areas are identified by the appropriate sign.
Accessible parking spaces (outlined in yellow and displaying the wheelchair symbol) are provided for use by people with mobility-related impairments. These parking spaces may be used only by holders of Current Operation Mobility permits issued by the CCS. Please note that you must also display either an appropriate parking permit (staff or student) or a parking coupon.
Mobility Car Parking
Finding a car park on campus can be a major challenge! All cars parked on the campus must display a valid parking permit or a pay-and-display coupon, this includes parking in the disability car parks. There are numerous mobility car parks on the campus and the legitimate use of these parks is monitored and enforced at all times by Security. Cars not displaying a Mobility Parking Permit or DRS display card and a valid UC parking permit or a pay-and-display coupon may be clamped and/or removed at the owner’s expense.
There are a number of mobility car parks located at the rear of the Central Library, which gives ease of access to the central campus area, Information Technology Services, the Arts Lecture Theatres, the College of Arts departments, and the University Bookshop. Other mobility car parks can be found across campus on individual parking lots - see Campus Maps.
CCS Disability Action issues all Mobility Parking Permits. Their contact details are:
224 Lichfield Street
PO Box 1506
Phone: 0800 227 2255
Fax: (03) 372 9507
Several of the taxi companies in Christchurch provide a wheelchair taxi service.
Common drop-off points on the campus are:
- The rear of the Matariki building for the Ilam Road areas of the campus
- The UCSA car park
- Outside the Central Lecture Block for the central area of the campus
- Outside the NZi3 building on Creyke Road for the northern parts of the campus
- Outside the Kirkwood Village on Kirkwood Ave
- Outside the Waimairi building for the College of Education
A special feature of the bus service in Christchurch is the "kneeling" floors which make the buses accessible for wheelchair users.
The University is in the following bus routes:
- Purple Line: Airport – Sumner (via Avonhead)
- No. 130 Hei Hei – Avonhead – Mt Pleasant (via City)
- The Orbiter
- No. 100 Wigram – The Palms
- No. 120 Burnside - Spreydon (via City)
- No. 130 Hei Hei – Avonhead (along Dovedale Ave)
- Purple Line: Airport – Sumner via Avonhead (along Maidstone Rd)
- The Orbiter (along Homestead Lane/Waimairi Rd)
MetroCards are electronic pre-pay discount cards for use on Christchurch buses. Metro cards are available from the University bookshop or you can pick up an application form from the UCSA. Many buses are now equipped with bike racks for free bike transport.
The schedule is subject to change. For further information on the ‘kneeling' buses and any other information about public transport in Christchurch phone METRO INFO on 03 366 8855 or refer to the Busing to UC and MetroInfo websites.