UCIC Buddies help run UCIC’s Orientation Programme. Each Buddy is responsible for a group of 3-5 new students, helping them to settle and integrate into UCIC, UC and Christchurch. Buddies meet with their group at least once a week for the first four weeks of the semester.
UCIC Buddies have successfully completed at least one semester at UCIC. A good attendance record and academic performance is required as well as a sound understanding of UCIC and New Zealand life. Applicants take part in a semi-formal interview after submitting an expression of interest.
UCIC Buddies receive training through the UC Student Mentoring Programme, as well as training specific to the UCIC orientation process.
Hours involved in the activity
12 hours minimum. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below. For this activity you can claim a maximum of two learning and development outcome.
Student Learning Advisor
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against one of the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point that best represents your learning outcome.
- B1 - Communication - You communicate effectively and appropriately for your audience and easily listen to others.
- B2 - Initiative and enterprise - You generate and implement new ideas for better results for our communities.
- B3 - Leadership – You keep the team motivated towards the final goal and model leadership in the community.
- B6 - Problem Solving - You notice current or potential issues and develop strategies to resolve those issues.
- B7 - Self-Management - You keep yourself on task and evaluate your own work performance.
- B8 - Teamwork - You share different ideas within your team about a project or process.
- C1 - Communication – You can share and write information clearly.
- C3 - Leadership – You successfully organise and manage a team.
- C5 - Planning and organising – You manage the way a project will be put into action.
- C7 - Self-Management – You identify skills that could make you more successful.
- D1 - Communication – You explain your thoughts to be better understood and respect other cultural norms.
- D3 - Leadership –You assign tasks to others to make the most of their skills.
- D5 - Planning and organising – You create clear goals for each project.
- D8 - Teamwork – You cooperate with different working styles and seize opportunities to learn from others.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
Are you interested in participating in this activity?