UCE Summer Startup Programme
The UCE Summer Startup programme is a 10-week programme to help students progress their business venture. Students participate in workshops, network and build relationships, pitch their venture at events and develop their idea or venture into a feasible and scalable business or social enterprise.
Activities could include:
- Engaging in educational entrepreneurship sessions
- Receiving advice from UCE staff and external business mentors
- Participating in pitch battles
- Undertaking market validation
Hours involved in the activity
12 hours minimum. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below. For this activity you can claim a maximum of three learning and development outcomes.
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- B1 - Communication - UCE Summer Startup students deliver presentations, write reports, and engage with the UCE Community.
- B2 - Initiative and enterprise - UCE Summer Startup students will develop and grow their own venture and ideas, or form teams to progress an existing idea by engaging with the UCE and external community.
- B3 - Leadership - UCE Summer Startup students take ownership and lead conversations with people in the community, relevant industry leaders and mentors about their idea or venture.
- B4 - Learning - UCE Summer Startup students attend mentoring, feedback sessions and events and seminars around Christchurch extending their knowledge and experience of entrepreneurship.
- C1 - Comunication - UCE Summer Startup students develop professional and effective communication skills when working closely with their team and the UCE Community.
- C2 - Initiative & enterprise - UCE Summer Startup students will develop and grow their own venture and ideas, or form teams to progress an existing idea.
- C3 - Leadership - UCE Summer Startup students progress their idea by leading co-founders or team members into engagments with the community and mentors. Team members seek opportunities to be leaders within the team.
- C4 - Learning - UCE Summer Startup students apply learning from educational entrepreneurial sessions, mentors, and feedback sessions to find solutions and develop new ways of expanding their idea or venture.
- C5 - Planning and organisation - UCE Summer Startup students will gain experience planning and organising how they will pursue and develop venture ideas. This will include prioritisation.
- C6 - Problem solving - UCE Summer Startup students will learn to develop a venture idea to solve real problems.
- C7 - Self-Management - UCE Summer Startup students will organise themselves and be efficient with their time to balance their studies, the venture they are involved with and other commitments.
- C8 - Teamwork - UCE Summer Startup students will learn to work as a team and sharing experiences and learnings with the group.
- C9 - Technology - UCE Summer Startup students will learn to use a range of technologies in progressing the venture they are working on.
- D2 - Initiative & enterprise - UCE Summer Startup students look overseas for potential suppliers and customers.
- D4 - Learning - UCE Summer Startup students learn from overseas examples to apply or adapt the idea they are working on.
- D6 - Problem solving - UCE Summer Startup students can look overseas to see what problems and what potential solutions have already been developed to apply or improve the idea they are working on.
- D9 - Technology - UCE Summer Startup students will research international technologies to maximise efficiency and cost effectiveness while developing the idea they are working on.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?