UCE Innovation Challenge
The UCE Innovation Challenge group compete in a variety of competitions. These competitions all require innovative and analytical thinking, as well as presentation skills.
- SDS Business Case Competitions
- MYOB IT Challenge
- Social Enterprise Challenge
- Kaikoura Challenge
- LawTech Challenge
Hours involved in the activity
12 hours minimum. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below. For this activity you can claim a maximum of three learning and development outcomes.
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- B1 - Communication - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors develop effective communication skills through reading and researching companies, then presenting potential strategies or ideas to those companies.
- B2 - Initiative and enterprise - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to identify issues and come up with potential solutions for businesses and communities as part of the competition.
- B4 - Learning - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors receive coaching and training from UCE staff, alumni, business mentors and experts preparing them for competitions.
- B5 - Planning & Organising - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to derive potential solutions for existing companies that could be implemented. They are time-bound and have to prioritise and plan accordingly.
- B6 - Problem Solving - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to derive potential solutions for existing companies to solve issues or maximise efficiencies.
- B7 - Self-Management - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to organise themselves to contribute to their team to a high standard. Competitors will also learn to manage their studies alongside their Challenge commitments.
- B8 - Teamwork - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors will learn to contribute equally to their team and can present themselves positively towards their team members.
- C1 - Comunication - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors will gain effective communication skills from working with their teams on innovative solutions. They will learn to present their solutions and work in a simple and professional manner, relevant to their audience.
- C2 - Initiative & enterprise - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors will learn to identify issues and come up with creative and innovative solutions to them as part of their competition.
- C4 - Learning - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors receive coaching and training from UCE staff, business mentors and experts to prepare them for competitions and ensure they have the right knowledge and insight to come up with innovative solutions to the given problems.
- C5 - Planning and organisation - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors gain experience putting together strategies and solutions that the organisation could implement. These must fit within the given resources, ie. money, employees, etc.
- C6 - Problem solving - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to come up with innovative solutions to a range of issues within organisations.
- C7 - Self-Management - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to organise their time around study and commit to the competition. They can act professionally with their team and share the workload.
- C8 - Teamwork - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors learn to work in teams to come up with innovative solutions. They will learn to work well alongside their team members from a range of different skills and backgrounds.
- C9 - Technology - UUCE Innovation Challenge competitors will learn to use a range of technologies to prepare for the competition and to present. Understanding current and future technology is also pertinent to the students in coming up with innovative solutions to the problems.
- D2 - Initiative & enterprise - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors will learn to look at international organisations to see what ideas and solutions are implemented.
- D6 - Problem solving - UCE Innovation Challenge competitors will learn to come up with innovative solutions to a range of issues within international organisations.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?