Portfolio Teaching Assistant (PTA)
Portfolio Teaching Assistants (PTAs) mark Civil and Natural Resources Engineering students’ report submissions for grammar, style, and presentation skills. Many also mark oral presentations and engineering sketches, run tutorials on proofreading, and assist with one-to-one tuition. Some offer skill-based tutorials to address academic development requirements.
Students are invited to become a PTA based on past performance in Portfolio or in the communications-intensive course, Design Studio 2. Students must also demonstrate appropriate skills during training to remain within the programme.
PTAs receive a marking guide and samples of marked work. They are guided through marking, and then assessed afterwards. PTAs are provided briefings for tutorial sessions.
Hours involved in the activity
12 hours minimum. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below.
Dr Tonny de Vries
Coordinator Communications Portfolio
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against one of the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point that best represents your learning outcome.
- C2 - Initiative and Enterprise – You plan and generate solutions to cope with changes.
- C4 - Learning – You apply what you have learned to different areas.
- C6 - Problem solving – You resolve an issue with a customer, client or team member.
- C7 - Self-Management – You identify skills that could make you more successful.
- C8 - Teamwork – You work with your team to resolve any issues that occur.
- D2 - Initative and enterprise - You plan ways to enhance common practices and draw ideas from other cultures.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?