Kiwi hosts assist the Kiwi Host Coordinator with coordinating their assigned teams through activities and acting as a peer mentor for TCU students.
Hours involved in the activity
Up to two modules of 12 hours per module. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below.
Kiwi Hosts will undergo a selection process upon application. Applications close May 31st. Applicants must be 2nd year and above, live on campus and be a domestic student.
Relevant training and continued support will be provided and attendance will be mandatory.
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- A1 - Communication - Kiwi Hosts communicate in a culturally responsive manner..
- A3 - Leadership - Kiwi Hosts recognise there may be difference in leadership across cultures and adapt own behaviours to lead successfully.
- A4 - Learning - Kiwi Hosts recognize that learning in a different cultural setting can be challenging and will adapt to accommodate their students.
- A6 - Problem Solving - Kiwi Hosts display flexibility and the ability to deal with ambiguity in cultural contexts different from their own culture.
- B1 - Communication - Kiwi Hosts clearly explain the programme to student participants and promote enthusiasm for its activities.
- B3 - Leadership - Kiwi Hosts act as a peer mentor to an assigned team of TCU students and coordinate their activities and social events to help them adjust to Christchurch and New Zealand.
- B5 - Planning & Organising - Kiwi Hosts will plan and organise small catch ups each week to support their students.
- B6 - Problem Solving - Kiwi Hosts assist students with any queries or issues experienced in their Hall of Residence and in their day to day. They recognise and refer any issues encountered running the activities in the programme.
- B7 Self-Management - Kiwi Hosts independently develop their own plans and procedures to support their students.
- B8 - Teamwork - Kiwi Hosts work together and with the Kiwi Host Coordinator to resolve any issues that occur and to take advantage of the team’s knowledge in other areas.
- C1 - Comunication - Kiwi Hosts will adapt their communication to meet the needs of the TCU students, through listening more carefully and using a variety of resources at their disposals.
- C2 - Initiative & enterprise - Kiwi Hosts suggest improvements to the programme based on feedback and their experience working with the students.
- C3 - Leadership - Kiwi Hosts coordinate groups of students with authority, and keep everyone on task in an activity.
- C5 - Planning and organisation - Kiwi Hosts understand their role and organise themselves effectively to contribute to the activities.
- C6 - Problem solving - Kiwi Hosts notice and solve issues that arise quickly and effectively during activities and throughout the 15 weeks.
- C7 - Self-Management - Kiwi Hosts collaborate to deliver the overall programme and independently carry out tasks related to their assigned student groups.
- C8 - Teamwork - Kiwi Hosts work together and the Kiwi Host Coordinator to ensure the programme runs well and is an exciting experience for the TCU students.
- D1 - Communication - Kiwi Hosts are aware of body language and communication variance in order to communicate effectively cross-culturally.
- D4 - Learning - Kiwi Hosts will learn the intricacies of communicating with a different culture and apply the most effective ways to communicate with their students.
- D6 - Problem solving - Kiwi Hosts will solve problems that arise in a culturally sensitive way that is appropriate and sympathetic to their students.
- D7 - Self-Management - Kiwi Hosts work with other language users in mind to identify skills that would make them more productive.
- D8 - Teamwork - Kiwi Hosts celebrate cultural difference as a team in pursuit of a common goal.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?