ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders
ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders provide oversight, support and leadership to the ENG ME! mentors. In addition, they may provide group mentoring to engineering intermediate students in their first year of study at UC, offering direction, encouragement, motivation and friendship through weekly contact for the first 10 teaching weeks of semester 1.
Hours involved in the activity
One module of a minimum of 12 hours. For every 12 hours of active learning you can claim recognition for one skill and one attribute. NB: opportunities only exist to develop the skills and attributes specified for this activity in the grey areas of the table below.
ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders are advancing UC Professional year engineering students with experience and understanding of university life and life in the college of engineering. They must have sound interpersonal and time-management skills. They must have leadership and organisational skills. From 2019 they will be recruited from the previous year’s ENG ME! mentors.
ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders attend an initial training session and regular debrief sessions with the ENG ME! advisory team (composed of College of Engineering staff and student club representatives).
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- B1 - Communication - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will be able to offer a welcoming and supportive environment to new students to UC and to the ENG ME! Mentors. They will develop in-depth knowledge of UC and its procedures and explain these in a clear and accurate way. They will communicate clearly to the ENG ME! Mentors, so that the mentors can assist their Mentees.
- B2 - Initiative and enterprise - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will find ways for new engineering students to be involved with and connected to the UC community. They will draw on their own experiences to support new students and the ENG ME! mentors.
- B3 - Leadership - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to be positive representatives of UC. They will have a leadership role within their mentoring group (if assigned one) and with the cohort of ENG ME! mentors.
- B4 - Learning - ENG ME! Mentors and Peer Mentoring Leaders attend a training session before they begin mentoring where they can reflect on their mentoring experience and how to lead the new cohort of mentors. They will learn to see areas that they want to develop skills in and find activities within their Mentoring and Leadership responsibilities to develop these.
- B5 - Planning & Organising - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will make weekly contact with their Mentors for the first 10 teaching weeks of the academic year. They will customise, plan and organise these meetings. Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to balance being full-time students and academic studies with volunteering. They may also have a mentoring group and plan their mentoring sessions.
- B6 - Problem Solving - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to communicate with a group of mentors that have different sets of needs and identify what those needs are. They will develop customised meetings to help the group develop plans to help with their time in ENG ME!
- B7 - Self-Management - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to be professional and provide a positive experience for the ENG ME! Mentors. They will develop skills of positive representation and a level of maturity. They can also identify areas that they want to develop skills in and find activities within Mentoring and Leadership to develop these.
- B8 - Teamwork - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will work together to meet the needs of mentors and organise regular group activities, such as meetings.
- B9 - Technology - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will be able to use different technology to communicate with the ENG ME! Mentors.
- C1 - Comunication - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to create communication with the ENG ME! Mentors that is professional. They will also learn how this skill can be applied to a variety of student cultures and work settings.
- C2 - Initiative & enterprise - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will find ways for new engineering students and ENG ME! Mentors to develop skills to make them more employable and encourage entry into competitions like entre.
- C3 - Leadership - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will develop leadership skills that can be used in a variety of settings and for diverse student groups.
- C4 - Learning - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will attend an initial training session. They reflect on their skill sets, identify aspects for enhancement, and engage in appropriate development.
- C5 - Planning and organisation - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will plan and organise meetings to help ENG ME! Mentors develop resilience and leadership skills to make them more work ready.
- C6 - Problem solving - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will identify issues with the delivery of their planned programme and the innovative steps they took to solve these. They will adapt their planning in response to their audience and environment as required.
- C7 - Self-Management - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn resilience, self-management and team building skills which will make them more employable. In addition, they will be innovative in problem solving and creating sessions to be help their mentors.
- C8 - Teamwork - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to work as a diverse student group to make sure a positive mentoring experience is created.
- D1 - Communication - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will communicate effectively with engineering students and ENG ME! Mentors, and develop awareness and understanding of the values and needs of Professional engineers. Peer Mentoring Leaders will be able to communicate with students from different countries and cultures to ensure all new students are welcomed to UC.
- D4 - Learning - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will find opportunities when meeting international students to learn about their cultures and use this information when communicating with students from a similar culture.
- D5 - Planning & Organising - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will adapt their planning and delivery to meet the needs of their mentors.
- D6 - Problem solving -ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to help solve concerns and offer support services to international students with respect to their culture.
- D7 - Self-Management - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders will learn to communicate effectively to students from different cultures in a respectful manner.
- D8 - Teamwork - ENG ME! Peer Mentoring Leaders can work effectively with students who are from different countries and use initiative to solve language barriers.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit
Are you interested in participating in this activity?