Economy and job prospects
Job opportunities and economy
With a population of around 350,000, Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island and the second largest in the country. It is currently undergoing a major rebuild and is in the process of transforming itself into one of the world’s most modern and sustainable cities. It is also New Zealand’s most affordable major city.
Christchurch is the second major business centre in New Zealand and, as the national centre of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), it has quickly become known as New Zealand’s digital city. It is a leading centre for innovation, research and technology, and home to New Zealand’s largest ICT industry cluster. Key business sectors include engineering, biotechnology, avionics, electronics, software engineering, agriculture, education, forestry, nutraceuticals, Antarctic research and tourism.
With the lowest unemployment rate in Australasia, unprecedented growth and employment opportunities, the Christchurch economy is booming. It is expected to continue growing over the next 20 years.*
Christchurch is an ethnically diverse and welcoming city offering an exciting and easy lifestyle for students:
- Many international restaurants, a variety of cultural activities and centres of worship for Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu and other religious communities.
- Lively arts and entertainment scene with regular festivals, concerts, sports matches and cultural events nearly every week of the year.
- Surf beaches 15 minutes’ drive from the city centre and ten alpine skifields within two hours’ drive.
- The city also offers a huge range of exciting recreational options in nearby locations of incredible natural beauty including the rugged beauty of Banks Peninsula, the historic French town of Akaroa, thermal hot springs at Hanmer, snowboarding on the Southern Alps and whale watching near Kaikoura.
- Christchurch has a conveniently located international airport which easily connects you to major cities all over the world.
'I've just finished my PhD but I still have a lot to learn and that's pretty exciting...'
'Understanding other countries' health systems could be used as the foundation for improving Indonesia's health system...'
The Garden City
Christchurch is known as the ‘Garden City’ for its many public parks, uncongested roads and an excellent public transport system.
To find out more about our beautiful city, visit the following web sites:
- Christchurch and Canterbury - The official visitors guide and travel planner for Canterbury and Christchurch
- Christchurch City Council - The official site for the Christchurch City Council - contains the latest Council News, Botanic Gardens info, Library info, Christchurch & Canterbury links etc.
- Be There - The official site for events in Christchurch, run by the Christchurch City Council
*Figures are current as at March 2015. For up-to-date information visit www.cdc.org.nz. Data details are sourced from CDC based on OECD and Infometrics Ltd; GDP (expenditure measure) and Statistics New Zealand, growth from same quarter of previous year, Sep 13 – Sep 14 using seasonally adjusted figures.