Accommodation for postgraduate students

Whether you are here for just a few weeks or a few years, UC has accommodation options to meet your needs.

Halls of residence

We recognise that postgraduate study comes with different demands to undergraduate study and a postgraduate living environment can help support you and others at the same level of study.  We also understand the differing needs with start and end dates not always fitting into standard semester contracts (February-June or July-December). 

To meet these needs, a Postgraduate Flexi contract is on offer with a 16-week minimum stay.  You are able to extend your contract after your initial 16-week stay to the end of a semester contract (June or December).  Alternatively, discuss your departure date directly with your hall at the time your contract is due to be extended. 

Please Note: If your programme of study is for less than 16 weeks, please email Accommodation Services and we will contact the hall to organise a contract to meet your programme needs.  

Catered - 2022 only (breakfast and dinner)
Hayashi - a new build in 2018, Hayashi comprises 16 two-storey townhouses for students in their second year of study and beyond. 
Sonoda - a group of 3-bedroom apartments set in Japanese-inspired grounds for students in their second year of study and beyond.  A dedicated study space will be available in each apartment (this layout is specific to the Postgraduate Flexi contract).

Self-Catered (or optional meal plan at University Hall)
Ilam Apartments - a large hall for students of all ages and at all levels of study, and a short 5 minute walk to campus.

The availability of rooms will depend on the time of year you plan to arrive.  Room rates range from $245 per week including power and linen.  All rooms are fully-furnished providing a shared kitchen equipped with basic essentials.  Common spaces are cleaned fortnightly.  Free parking is available on site for Sonoda and Hayashi residents - numbers are limited.

Postgraduate Flexi ContractContract LengthResidential Fee 2022Plus Deposit

Sonoda (3:1 bathroom ratio)
Hayashi (5:2 bathroom ratio)
Double room (single occupancy)

16 weeks (minimum)

$245 per week
$262 per week


Ilam Apartments (Hinau)
King single room (self-catered)

16 weeks (minimum)

$245 per week


*The deposit consists of a $300 administration fee, $200 residential life fee and $300 refundable contingency fee. Fees are paid on a fortnightly basis.

To apply, please complete an online application form. Click on "Registration" to begin your application and select the term "Postgraduate Flexi" indicating a preferred location. 

Couples or families apply for a 50 week contract with the term "Couples/Family Accommodation" and apply for a room type rather than a location.  

For any questions, please email Accommodation Services.

Renting privately

Private rental accommodation is popular with postgraduate students offering an independent lifestyle and a great way to meet new people.  Market rent in Christchurch is found on the Tenancy Services website and will give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.  Please note that these rates do not differentiate between furnished or unfurnished or the condition of the room or property.  

If moving into an empty property, you will need to factor in set up costs into your budget:

  • up to 4 weeks' rent as bond
  • 1-2 weeks' rent in advance
  • power and internet
  • furniture and/or white ware (if unfurnished)
  • contents and liability insurance

You also need to budget for ongoing monthly expenses such as power, internet, transport, food and personal items.  Refer to or for cost of living information.  

Do not sign a contract or agreement without viewing a property personally, therefore, we recommend that you arrange temporary accommodation for when you first arrive in Christchurch to enable you time to find a property that you will be happy in.  For families, we recommend arriving on your own first as temporary accommodation can be booked on campus at Sonoda whilst you find a suitable house to enable your family to join you. Temporary accommodation for a family can be very expensive.  

Rental homes must meet insulation standards to avoid $4,000 fines.  Your landlord should provide you with an Insulation Statement to enable you to make an informed decision about the property you are about to rent.  You can also view healthy home standards on the Tenancy Services website.  If you are new to renting in New Zealand, refer to the online Renting and You booklet published by Tenancy Services.  

Find out more about renting privately.


If you are a single student, you may prefer homestay or private board. Homestay provides an affordable and attractive accommodation option in a New Zealand family environment. If you choose homestay accommodation, you can expect to be treated as part of the family – eating, socialising and relaxing with members of the household. There is an 8 week miniumum stay.

Find out more about homestay and private board.

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation is usually paid for on a daily basis, for example a hotel or hostel. If you are only coming to UC for a short amount of time, or if you need short term accommodation while you look for a flat, temporary accommodation could be the answer.

Find out more about temporary accommodation.

More information

For more information about postgraduate accommodation options, contact Accommodation Services/Te Ratonga Nohonga.