Image of the week: 29 April - 5 May 2019

29 April 2019

Fine Arts at Canterbury College

Students working in the university’s fine arts studios in the first half of the twentieth century. Canterbury College’s School of Art opened in 1882 in buildings on the corner of Hereford Street and Rolleston Avenue previously occupied by Christchurch Girls’ High School. The School began awarding the Diploma of Fine Arts in 1929. Students of the period included Ngaio Marsh (1913-19), Colin and Rata Lovell-Smith (1914 and 1918-26), Rita Angus (1927-33), and Bill Sutton (1930-37), several of whom returned to teach at the School.

Credits for this week's images:

  1. 1947. Image 349, Life Room. Photographs of Students and Staff at Work, University of Canterbury, School of Fine Arts Records (MB2114, Ref 71996). Macmillan Brown Library, Christchurch, New Zealand.
  2. c. 1930s. Image 335. Photographs of Students and Staff at Work, University of Canterbury, School of Fine Arts Records (MB2114, Ref 71996). Macmillan Brown Library, Christchurch, New Zealand.
  3. Image 329, Modelling Class Prior to 1911, Canterbury College School of Art. Photographs of Students and Staff at Work, University of Canterbury, School of Fine Arts Records (MB2114, Ref 71996). Macmillan Brown Library, Christchurch, New Zealand.

You can see these images and more in Kā Kohika, our art and archives catalogue.

Macmillan Brown Library - Te Puna Rakahau o Macmillan Brown

Phone: +64 3 369 4499 (extn 94499) 
Email:macbrown@libr.canterbury.ac.nz