APA Changes with 7th Edition of Publication Manual
04 December 2019
APA 7th Edition is here...
The 7th edition of the APA Publication Manual was published in October 2019 and there are a host of changes to APA referencing, including
- The publisher location is no longer included in the reference
- In-text citations for works with 3 or more authors are shortened to ‘et al.’ from first citation
- URLs are no long preceded by “Retrieved from” unless a retrieval date is required.
- Surnames and initials for up to 20 authors (instead of 7) are provided in the reference list.
- DOIs are formatted the same as URLs
It is expected that Endnote will provide a new output style for APA 7th shortly – the 6th edition output style will remain available.
Since some postgraduate students finishing within the next year will continue to use the 6th edition style, the guidelines for the 6th edition will remain live for 2020.
Please contact your subject librarian if you would like support in switching to APA 7th.