Donating material to the Library
Donations to the Macmillan Brown Library collections
Donations in the form of documentary archives, photography, architectural drawings, art collections, rare or heritage material related to New Zealand, Māori and Pacific have their own donations assessment criteria. Please refer to the Macmillan Brown Library’s information for donors web page.
Donations for the general collections
The Library welcomes donations of material for the collection that meet the selection for purchase criteria as stated in the Information Resources Policy.
The Library will take into account the quality of content at an appropriate level, accessibility, usability, cost/benefit, and in particular relevance to the teaching and research needs of the university.
The Library reserves the right to decline donations and there are some types of material that the Library would generally decline. These include:
- Items that the Library already has in electronic or print format
- Older copies of textbooks where the Library has a more recent edition
- Short serial / journal runs unless they fill any gaps or are NZ/Pacific material
- Donations of journals that were paid for personal individual use not at institutional subscription rates
- Items where there is already good coverage in the collection on the subject matter
- Software manuals
Exceptions may apply for rare, unique or heritage resources for example New Zealand, Māori and Pacific material.
The Library also reserves the right to:
- Classify donated items in accordance with the LC classification driven policy
- Re-assess donated items in the future. This may mean keeping, withdrawing or moving items into storage
- Offer items no longer required to Library users, booksellers, other libraries or for disposal
- Not return non-accessioned donations to the donor unless specifically requested and agreed to
Process for bringing in donations to the Library
Please fill in a copy of the donation acknowledgment form and bring this with you.
Small numbers of donated items (eg less than 10 items) are usually fine to just bring into the Library service desk/s however if the size of the donation is significant then please contact the Resource Acquisition team (3693874) or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss and make prior arrangements.