Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests lie in a combination of Torts, such as Defamation, Civil Liberties, in particular, Censorship, Bill of Rights and the broad range of topics making up Media Law, such as Privacy, and regulatory systems such as the Broadcasting Standards Authority and the Press Council.
- Cheer U. (2021) Burrows and Cheer Media Law in New Zealand. (8 ed.). Wellington, New Zealand: LexisNexis NZ Limited.
- Sotardi V., Taylor L., Brogt E., Cheer U. and Baird N. (2021) Influences on students’ interest in a legal career, satisfaction with law school, & psychological distress: trends in New Zealand. Law Teacher http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03069400.2021.1968166.
- Taylor L., Cheer U., Brogt E., Sotardi V. and Baird N. (2021) The Making of Lawyers: Expectations and experiences of sixth year Aotearoa/New Zealand law students and recent law graduates. In The Making of Lawyers: Expectations and experiences of sixth year Aotearoa/New Zealand law students and recent law graduates, Ako Aotearoa. Commissioned by Ako Aotearoa. 1-180.
- Cheer U. (2020) External Review of Decisions 2018 – Election Programmes. In External Review of Decisions 2018 – Election Programmes, BSA Website: www.bsa.govt.nz. Commissioned by Broadcasting Standards Authority.
- Cheer U. (2020) IEL Media Law in New Zealand, 2nd edition, International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Kluwer Law International.