Senior Lecturer Above the BarDr David Jefferson
Co-Director of Honours
Internal Phone: 90820
David’s research examines how the law sets the terms for human interactions with the other-than-human world, including through the governance of biodiversity, biotechnologies, agricultural crops, and food. David’s research sites are in Australasia and Latin America.
- Jefferson D. (2023) Tensions Between Indigenous Sovereignty and Intellectual Property: The Protection of Taonga Plants and Māori Knowledge in the Plant Variety Rights System of Aotearoa New Zealand. University of New South Wales, Sydney: 07 Jun 2023.
- Jefferson D. (2023) How NZ’s own law helped Australia win the Manuka Honey trademark war. The Conversation.
- Jefferson D. (2023) How NZ's own law helped Australia win the Manuka Honey trademark war. RNZ.
- Jefferson D. (2023) Rights of Nature Claims-Making in Ecuador. University of Canterbury: Riverine Rights: Exploring the currents and consequences of legal innovations on the rights of rivers, 16 Jan 2023.
- Jefferson DJ., Macpherson E. and Moe S. (2023) Experiments with the Extension of Legal Personality to Ecosystems and Beyond-Human Organisms: Challenges and Opportunities for Company Law. Transnational Environmental Law : 1-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s2047102523000079.
PhD in Law (University of Queensland)
Juris Doctorate (University of California, Davis)
Master of Arts in Psychology (Suffolk University)
LAWS205 Land Law (co-taught with Elizabeth Toomey and Toni Collins)
LAWS314 Environmental Law, Policy and Society
LAWS330 Intellectual Property Law (co-taught with Olivia Erdelyi)