About IT Services: Business Analysis Practice
The University of Canterbury’s BA Practice, led by Jeremy Freeman, is comprised of a team of BA’s who specialise in the delivery of Business Analysis services across UC.
The University of Canterbury’s Business Analyst Practice supports a number of Business Analysts with capability and experience across the spectrum of business analysis knowledge areas needed within the University. Given the field of business analysis encompasses a broad area, e.g. process, technology, and finance, no one BA can be an expert in all these domain areas. By engaging with the team UC can leverage the total experience of our BA’s, benefiting from the collective expertise of the team as a whole. Using the IT Services BA team ensures that agreed services are defined and the quality of outputs are monitored and validated.
The BA Practice looks to adhere to industry best practice standards, along with supporting Business Analysis skills and capability across the University.
Functional areas supported
- Agile and lean Business Analysis.
- Enabling and supporting the business to make informed decisions that add business value which aligns with organisational strategy.
- Proactively contributing to continuous improvement initiatives.
The BA Practice currently offers many services (see below). These are delivered in a standardised manner according to the BA Framework.
The BA Framework defines recommended approaches and techniques a BA should undertake when performing their duties along with providing the associated templates needed in order to meet a number of potential stakeholder engagements.
- BA Consultancy across the University
- Supporting business transformation and change across the University
- Workshop facilitation in order to assist the business in making good decisions
- Leading and supporting a UC wide BA Community of Practice, ensuring industry best practices are followed
- Policy/strategy development
- Refining Product Backlog with Product Team
- Sprint Retrospective with Product Team
- Sprint Demo/Review with Product Team and Users
- Proxy Product Owner with Product Teams
- Scrum Master
- Value Stream Mapping
- Risk and Impact Analysis
- Impact Mapping
- User Stories & Acceptance Criteria Specification
- Options paper production
- Business case production
- Whitepaper production
- Process analysis/mapping
- Business analysis plan
- Requirements management plan
- Stakeholder management/ RACI matrix
- Vendor engagement
- Use case specification
- Systems analysis
- Business and functional requirements
- Gap analysis
- Product description production
- Assisting the business with general document preparation
- Procurement: review & analysis
- Request for proposal (RFP)/ Request for information development (RFI)
- SWOT analysis
- Traceability matrix (creation/update/monitoring)
- Assess operational support
- Release to production / operational support handover
- Benefits realisation
- User acceptance testing