The Information and Records Management unit is actively working to enhance controls over the University’s legacy records to realise the benefits of a well managed physical records programme. These include:
- Classifying legacy records against the University General Disposal Authority and determining their disposal fate so that high-value records and documentary heritage items are protected, whilst low-value content is destroyed
- Achieving savings by reducing off-site storage costs
- Reducing the risk of inadvertent or malicious release of sensitive information
- Appraising records that sit outside the General Disposal Authority and seeking disposal authorisation for these from the Chief Archivist
The Unit to date has been listing all records held by the University that are not currently located and managed by individual departments. This includes records held in the University warehouse, the records facility and other storage areas.
Please contact IRM at firstname.lastname@example.org to:
- request access to legacy records
- negotiate an appraisal of departmental legacy records requiring disposal
The University of Canterbury Legacy Programme Plan will be available here once complete.