Applying for a Visa as a Returning International Student on Campus
You can apply for your 2022 student visa through UC (Student Direct) before 15 December if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a current onshore UC student (studying in NZ in 2021)
- You have a current student visa at the time of your application
- You have your 2021 Semester Two results (available from 3 December)
- You have an approved Application to Enrol in myUC with all courses approved
- You are continuing with the same qualification you studied in 2021 or a natural progression of qualification (for example going from an MA to a PhD).
Change of Qualification
If you are wanting to change your qualification (for example from a BCom to a BSc) you will need to apply for your student visa directly with INZ, you will need to provide your Offer of Place for the new programme of study and a letter outlining the reason for the change.
This does not apply to a natural progression in qualification (for example progressing from a BE(Hons)INT to a BE(Hons) or from an MA to a PhD). If you are unsure whether your qualification change is a natural progression or a full change, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Student Services (Level 1, Matariki Building).
Student Visa Application Fee
Applying through UC
The Student Visa Application Fee for 2021 is NZD$285 if you apply through UC:
$110 - Immigration NZ Application Fee
$25 - Immigration Levy
$35 - Immigration International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL)
$115 - UC Service Charge
$285 - Total
Applying with Immigration NZ
If you currently hold a visitor or work visa and you want a student visa, you must apply directly with INZ.
People who have completed an acceptable qualification in NZ can apply for a post-study work visa. If you are granted a visa, you can work for any employer in NZ and do almost any work. You must apply for a post-study work visa online directly with INZ to ensure you receive your e-visa in a timely manner.