Support for international students

international students chatting outside

International student orientation and enrolment

There are many resources available to help you adjust to life in a new country and succeed in your studies.

UC offers a variety of activities, events and information sessions to give you an introduction to life at university and to Christchurch. These provide great opportunities for you to meet other students and learn about the range of programmes and services available to you.

Find out more about International Welcome and International student enrolment in person.

Your international student support team

The Student Care Team is your international student support team. We want you to feel at home here and can provide practical guidance or advice on your wellbeing and success, and can help you with any issue or concern.

Whether you need help with settling in after you first arrive, financial support as you progress through your degree, someone to talk to about a personal issue that is impacting on your studies or anything else whether it be big or small, get in touch with Student Care for support and advice.

UC student mentoring programme

The mentoring programme gives you an excellent start to your life at UC. When you join the programme, you will be matched with a UC Mentor who is studying similar subjects to you. Mentors are volunteers who give you information on how to access the services on campus and can be someone you can talk to about your experiences and studies.

Your mentor will help you through the enrolment process, take you to the Orientation activities, answer questions you may have and continue to provide ongoing support. You will be made to feel welcome and more quickly gain a great sense of belonging. 

Find out how to get a mentor.

English language workshops and consultations

The Academic Skills Centre offers a range of support services to students who have English as an additional language. 

Find out more about academic English language workshops and consultations.

Will you be under 18 years of age when you start at UC?

If you are an international student and under 18 years old when you start at UC you must contact the Student Care Team.  

For more information about your obligations please read International students under 18.

We’re here to help

For more general information about getting started and settling in at UC, see New students.

If you need help with anything at all, please contact us.


Visit the Student Care office:

Level 2, Central Library
Puaka-James Hight building
Phone: +64 3 369 3388

Emergency after-hours support

If you require emergency support outside of the Student Care Team’s working hours of Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, please call Security on 0800 823 637.