Applying for a visa as a returning international student

UC recommends that applicants wishing to lodge a Student Visa application using Students Online should call Immigration NZ Contact Centre (0508 558855) to check whether they need to provide Medical Certificates, Chest X-ray Certificates or Police Clearances prior to lodging their visa application with UC. The Immigration NZ Contact Centre is available 24/7 to give updates on what needs to be submitted with applications. UC does not have access to Immigration NZ records to provide this information or advice.

The University of Canterbury is accredited by Immigration NZ as a Students Online Partner. This means you can only apply for your student visa on campus if you are already in New Zealand and have a student visa you want to renew. You must also meet the following requirements:

  • Your Application to Enrol has been approved
  • Your current visa has not expired when you make your visa application
  • Your enrolment fees have been paid in full

To apply for a visa in campus, you need to fill in the Student Visa form.

If you hold a Visitor or Work Visa you must apply for your Student Visa directly with Immigration NZ using the Immigration Online application process

Bring the completed Application for student visa form and the supporting documents listed on the International student enrolment documents checklist to the Enrolments Office in the Student Services Centre.

The cost for applying for a student visa on campus is $187.  This will be added to your tuition fees. Find out how to Pay your fees.

More information

If you have any questions about applying for a student visa please contact

Applying for a Post Study Work Visa

Immigration New Zealand now requires Graduate students to submit their post study work visa applications online and this will enable them to receive e-visas in a timely manner.

The University of Canterbury can no longer accept Post Study Work visa applications effective 28 March 2016.