Visas and immigration

If you are coming to New Zealand to study for more than three months, you will need a student visa.

When to get a visa

UC recommends that you obtain a student visa with Immigration New Zealand before you travel to New Zealand. Please be aware that if you travel to New Zealand with the intention of studying without a student visa, you may be refused a tourist or visitor visa at the border.

For more information on the border, visa processing please click here. 

Eligibility for a student visa

To qualify for a student visa, you must enrol on a full-time course. Once your visa has been approved, you cannot change to a part-time course. The University is obliged to notify Immigration New Zealand if you change to part-time study or discontinue your course.

For more information about the Student Visa options, including eligibility and your rights while you study in New Zealand, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website.

Applying for a student visa outside of New Zealand

If you are new to UC and in New Zealand you will be able to apply for your 2022 student visa through UC (Provider Direct) if you meet the following criteria:

  • you apply before 15 December 2021
  • you have a current student visa with a different education provider (such as UCIC or a NZ secondary or high school)
  • you have a record of your attendance levels from your school/UCIC that shows your attendance for 2021 was 90% or above
  • you have an approved Application to Enrol in myUC with all courses approved

You will need to make an appointment for an Enrolment in Person session and have all the necessary documentation with you at the session. 

If you apply after 15 December, you hold a work or visitor visa, or your attendance levels were below 90% in 2021, you will need to apply online with INZ