Student advice and forms

student advice, labyrinthe, stock photo

The Faculty of Health Student Advisors give advice on course options and degree programmes.

If you are a prospective postgraduate student or current UC student and have questions regarding your course of study in health sciences or sport coaching our Student Advice team are here to help.

Some of the things we can help you with are:

Getting started

  • Planning your programme of study including double degrees and double majors
  • Explaining your course options
  • Entry requirements
  • Workload

Transferring and cross-crediting

  • Transfer of credit from other New Zealand tertiary institutions
  • Cross-credit
  • Transferring between qualifications

Dealing with changes in your circumstances

  • Programme extensions
  • Exemptions from core-requirements or prerequisite waivers
  • Masters thesis suspensions
  • Masters thesis extensions
  • Part-time enrolment
  • Withdrawal from courses

Meeting requirements for graduation

  • Advice on eligibility to graduate

Dealing with study-related issues

  • Academic appeals

Postgraduate information

If you want to know about Masters thesis or PhD study, the following websites provide a useful starting place:

Who do I contact if I need help with my study?

Your lecturers are available via email and your Learn sites. The Academic Skills Centre can assist with study and/or writing enquiries.

Who do I contact if I need help with a problem?

When things just aren’t quite right there is always someone to go to for help and advice. Contact one of our Advisors or alternatively go to the Support site for student information

How to contact us

For programme enquiries, please send us an email outlining your enquiry or request to

If you are sending documents for our attention please address them to

Student Advisor
Faculty of Health
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch 8140

General information

  • Information on fees and funding can be found on the University website.
  • General information for Current Students can also be found there. 
  • If you are not currently enrolled at the Faculty of Health you will find useful information on the Future Students page.

International students

We have International students studying with us from all over the world. Find out more about studying at UC and life in Christchurch and New Zealand. 

Support for Māori and Pasifika students

There are numerous support programmes, mentoring and fun activities for Māori and Pasifika students at UC.

Te Tari o te Amokapua Māori | the Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori (OAVCM) offers a wide range of events, support programmes and services for all UC Māori students. Find out more.

The Pacific Development Team runs many events throughout the University year as well as offering support and services to support Pasifika students. Find out more.

PhD students

Any queries should be directed to the PhD Administrator in the Postgraduate Office, see their website for contact details.

Support Services at UC

UC has a huge array of support services to help you before and during your time at UC. Take a look at the Student Services website and take advantage of the help they have to offer or any of the support services listed below.

Student Care Advisors

The Student Care Team offers guidance on developing your life skills outside of the classroom to enhance your personal wellbeing and chances for success. You may have a particular question or concern, but sometimes you may be referred to us because you are struggling generally or have a challenge with a particular aspect of academic life.

Advisors can assist students in areas as diverse as personal problems affecting study, extension and aegrotat queries, adjustment to university life, and social and cultural concerns.  

See the Student Care webpage for contact details.

Course material

Course work for current students can be found on Learn. You will be issued a student network login to access this when your enrolment is complete.

Computer/Internet Access

  • You will need continual access to a computer with broadband internet access, and access to a printer.
  • Course materials will be provided free of charge in digital form in each course's site within UC’s Learning Management System, Learn. It is your decision whether to print what you require at your cost. Distance Students will need to attend Adobe Connect Sessions on the computer.

Student email

Once you are fully enrolled, UC will use your student email address as your main point of contact. It is also essential for using Library services. We recommend that you check your student email daily. As part of your enrolment declaration, you have agreed to check your UC email at least weekly and the Learn site regularly. This will ensure that you are up to date with all requirements and information from UC. The only exemption from this policy will be if you apply for, and are approved as exempt, by the Manager, Admissions and Enrolments.

Need more information?

Cat Milligan

Student Advisor
Internal Phone: 93333

Kathy Hogarth

Student Advisor
Internal Phone: 92529

Interested in studying with us?

Take the next step