My research is largely epidemiological in nature, driven by a social justice perspective. Student supervisions and publications have largely focused on population inequity, forming an evidence base to inform important health policies. Many peer-reviewed journal articles explicitly deal with the social determinants of health, often embedded in local contexts but motivated by national or international public health priority areas seeking to reduce health inequalities.
I have supervised 24 PhD students and 21 Masters students to completion, with another 4 PhD and 2 Masters students current. My expertise is regularly sought nationally and internationally to critique research applications for various peak funding organisations, including: the Health Research Board (Ireland); the Chief Scientist Office Project Grant Scheme (Scotland); the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (NZ); NHMRC project grant proposals (Australia); and, HRC (NZ). I also provide expert review to multiple high-ranking international journals, including: Lancet, BMJ, Pediatrics, Psychological Methods, Addiction, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, and, Medical Journal of Australia. I have led or been a named investigator on 64 successful competitive grants in Australia and New Zealand totalling $26.8 million and published over 270 peer-reviewed articles in national and international journals. Major funding sources include: HRC, NHMRC (Australia), ARC (Australia), and MBIE. My research over the 2006-2011 and 2012-2017 periods was awarded an "A" PBRF ranking in public health.
- Bourke JA., Nichols-Dunsmuir A., Begg A., Dong H. and Schluter PJ. (2022) Understanding the longer-term health, wellbeing, and sense of community for disabled people following the 2010–2011 Canterbury earthquakes: A repeated cross-sectional study. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 67 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2021.102649.
- Hobbs M., Ahuriri-Driscoll A., Kingham S., Wiki J., Marek L., Dionisio MR., Curl A., Schluter P., Banwell K. and Mackenbach JD. (2022) A city profile of Ōtautahi Christchurch. Cities 121 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2021.103481.
- Kanagaratnam S. and Schluter PJ. (2022) An update of the evidence on factors that influence the impact of fluoride toothpaste on dental caries in New Zealand. New Zealand Dental Journal 118(3): 85-94.
- Ma L., Wang Y., Pan L., Cui Z. and Schluter PJ. (2022) Mindfulness-informed (ACT) and Mindfulness-based Programs (MBSR/MBCT) applied for college students to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. Journal of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbct.2022.05.002.
- McLay LK., Bowden NJ., Eggleston MJF., Thabrew H., Braund R. and Schluter PJ. (2022) Melatonin dispensing and polypharmacy rates for New Zealand children with autism or attention deficit hyperactivity disorders: A nationwide pharmacoepidemiological study. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 93 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2022.101948.