I work, teach and research in mental health in communities with a focus on equity, young people and social inclusion and community health systems.
I am a public health physician and researcher with a wide range of research interests which include participation, inclusion and mental health in communities. I used mixed methods although qualitative research is my favourite research (so complex and nuanced). I work in public health in New Zealand and India, and with the team in India. I am founder/ director Burans (www.burans.org) and we have developed interventions (Nae Disha, Nae Umeed, Swasthya Labh Saadan) that have been adopted and scaled. Until recently I was the South East Asia regional board member of Health Systems Global.
- Heap CJ., Jennings HM., Mathias K., Gaire H., Gumbonzvanda F., Gumbonzvanda N., Gupta G., Jain S., Maharjan B. and Maharjan R. (2022) Participatory mental health interventions in low-income and middle-income countries: a realist review protocol. BMJ Open 12(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-057530.
- Mathias K., Nayak P., Singh P., Pillai P. and Goicolea I. (2022) Is the Parwarish parenting intervention feasible and relevant for young people and parents in diverse settings in India? A mixed methods process evaluation. BMJ Open 12(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-054553.
- Mathias K., Rawat M., Thompson A., Gaitonde R. and Jain S. (2022) Exploring Community Mental Health Systems – A Participatory Health Needs and Assets Assessment in the Yamuna Valley, North India. International Journal of Health Policy and Management 11(Special Issue): 90-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.34172/IJHPM.2020.222.
- Gandhi S., Mathias K., Seefeldt L. and Delaney T. (2021) The inconvenient truth of illiteracy inequality intersectionality of socio-demographic disadvantage. Economic and Political Weekly 56(34): 61-71.
- Kermode M., Grills N., Singh P. and Mathias K. (2021) Improving Social Inclusion for Young People Affected by Mental Illness in Uttarakhand, India. Community Mental Health Journal 57(1): 136-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10597-020-00623-6.