Senior Lecturer Above the BarDr Chris North
Internal Phone: 93436
My areas of interest lie in the combination of environment, people and education. I use practitioner research methods to improve teaching and learning
Qualifications & Memberships
My key focus is the intersection between humans and the environment, in terms of learning and quality experiences, but also in promoting environmental sustainability. My research covers the areas of outdoor and environmental education practices, adventure education, initial teacher education and most recently freedom camping and sustainable tourism.
- North CJ. (2020) Interrogating Authenticity in Outdoor Education Teacher Education Applications in Practice. Singapore: Springer Nature.
- Hill A., North C., Cosgriff M., Irwin D., Boyes M. and Watson S. (2020) Education Outside the Classroom in Aotearoa New Zealand – A Comprehensive National Study. In Education Outside the Classroom in Aotearoa New Zealand – A Comprehensive National Study, Ara Institute of Canterbury Ltd.. Commissioned by Education Outdoors New Zealand.
- North C., Berning H., Karaka-Clarke TH. and Taff BD. (2023) Leave No Trace and Sustainability Education: Taking a Dialectical Approach. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership 14(4): 61-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.18666/JOREL-2023-11655.
- North C., Hill A., Cosgriff M., Watson S., Irwin D. and Boyes M. (2023) Conceptualisations and implications of ‘newness’ in education outside the classroom. Cambridge Journal of Education 53(2): 257-274. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0305764X.2022.2094893.
- North C., Patton K. and Coulter M. (2022) Negotiating tensions in identity: from physical education teacher educator to academic leader. Sport, Education and Society 27(6): 703-716. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13573322.2021.1907326.