UC Aho Hīnātore | UC Accelerator Scholarship
The UC Aho Hīnātore | Accelerator Scholarship is designed to assist the transition of UC’s best and brightest current, and recently completed, students to doctoral studies at UC.
Whakamāramatanga | Key Information
The UC Aho Hīnātore | UC Accelerator Scholarship consists of a 12-week research project for which the recipients receive a stipend of $6,000 followed by a 3 year doctoral scholarship covering fees and paying a stipend of $28,000 per annum. Forty scholarships are available in 2022 and are awarded by Te Kaunihera | Council of the University. The 12-week research project must include a minimum of $1,500 co-funding from an external partner or Department/School funds.
He Pātai Auau | Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible, potential students must:
- Qualify for admission to the PhD at UC. In cases where a potential student demonstrates particular promise but does not yet meet the research experience requirement of the PhD (and by prior negotiation with the Dean of Postgraduate Research), accelerated admission to the PhD may be approved;
- Have completed their most recent study at UC, prior to April 2022;
- Exhibit a minimum GPA of 7 in the last two years of study;
- Not be enrolled in a course during the project period, unless prior approval has been obtained from the Dean of Postgraduate Research.
During the project, individuals must:
- Hold a valid visa, if an international student. Contact Immigration NZ https://www.immigration.govt.nz/ for more information;
- Dedicate at least 25 hours per week to the project across a 12-week period;
- Attain a minimum of three learning outcomes from the 12-week project.
- The learning outcomes must be detailed on the Aho Hīnātore Evaluation Form.
- The student must report on the attainment of the learning outcomes at the completion of the project.
- Attainment of these outcomes will represent successful completion of the project.
- Understand that if they successfully complete this project, they will be offered a UC Aho Hīnātore | Accelerator PhD Scholarship valued at $28K per annum plus tuition for a maximum of 360 points of PhD study.
During your project you will be enrolled in a zero credit course (SCHL590) which will give you access to the buildings and resources you require. Successful completion of this course, i.e. your project, will be the prerequisite of continuing on to PhD studies.
Towards the end of your project, you and your supervisor will sign off on the success of the project and this will be used as part of your application documents for the PhD programme. Individuals must submit the Aho Hīnātore Evaluation Form within one week of completion of the 12-week project to be eligible for the Accelerator PhD Scholarship.
After your admission has been processed and you have accepted your formal offer, the Scholarships Office will then proceed to arrange your Accelerator PhD Scholarship.
Successful recipients must commence their PhD studies by the 1st July 2022.
Scholarship regulations should be the first point of call when trying to find out more information about a particular scholarship.
For potential supervisors who are unable to access the online application form, please refer to the PDF version below.
He kōrero anō | Additional Information
Please click here to find a recording of the UC Aho Hīnātore Accelerator Scholarship Information Session 2021.