Resources for UC students
Resources for students planning their career in the power industry
Check career pathways to find more information about what it means to be an electrical and/or power engineer.
Check recruitment for information about companies, tips from recruitment specialists and young engineers, events and tools.
EEA Student Membership
You can join the Electricity Engineers’ Association (EEA) as a student member for free!
- Priority attendance to the Annual Power Engineering Exchange (APEX) Summit, held annually
- Free attendance at student events and guest lectures organised by EEA
- Notification about scholarships, awards and networking events
- Access to EEA guides and safety rules (free or discounted)
- Online access to EEA Electricity Industry Update and Safety Rules Newsletters
Apply online or learn more on the EEA website.
Young Energy Professional Network
The BusinessNZ Energy Council (BEC) has established a Young Energy Professionals Network (YEPN).
This is a new and exciting opportunity for BEC members, their young professionals and others in the energy industry to build networks and broaden and deepen their understanding of the energy sector.
The YEPN performs many functions including leadership development opportunities. The YEPN up-skills members through knowledge sharing and collaboration within the energy community.
Young Energy Professionals Network’ has just launched in Ōtautahi Christchurch in 2023. They host regular networking events and opportunities for professional development
For more information visit the YEPN website.
Check the careers.govt.nz website for average salary information for graduate electrical engineers.
The EPECentre 2019 survey of former scholars, showed that:
- Graduates start in the 51k-70k range
- More than 80% of the "less than 30y old" have a salary between 51k and 90k. The remaining 20% have a higher salary.
- 84% of the "30 to 34y old" have a salary above 91k
- 56% of the "more than 35y" have a salary above 130k