Embracing leading-edge design tools in education to ensure the success of our future designers in the industry.
Qualifications & Memberships
My research pursues creative and effective implementation and evaluation of leading-edge design tools in design education and practice, i.e. 3D Printing, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and any best available technologies in the future.
Latest research interests include:
Use of Digital Sketching in product design practice
Sketching with Virtual Reality
Impact on tool-use behaviours from tool-learning experience in formal design education
- Ranscombe C. and Zhang W. (2021) What motivates and discourages designers to use digital sketching? Comparing its use to externalise ideas versus communicating with external stakeholders. Proceedings of the Design Society 1: 3441-3450. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2021.605.
- Ranscombe C., Zhang W., Eisenbart B. and Kuys B. (2021) Which visualisation tools and why? Evaluating perceptions of student and practicing designers toward Digital Sketching. Design and Technology Education 26 3.
- Zhang W. and Ranscombe C. (2021) Embracing new visualisation tools in education: How the learning experience of digital sketching influences its use in design practice. Proceedings of the Design Society 1: 1353-1362. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2021.135.
- Ranscombe C., Johnson KB., Zhang W., Eisenbart B. and Lauff C. (2020) Which visualisation tools and why? comparing perceptions of student and practicing designers toward digital sketching. In Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, E and PDE 2020.
- Ranscombe C., Zhang W., Rodda J. and Mathias D. (2019) Digital sketch modelling: Proposing a hybrid visualisation tool combining affordances of sketching and CAD. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED 2019-August: 309-318. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/dsi.2019.34.