Embracing leading-edge design tools in education to ensure the success of our future designers in the industry.
Qualifications & Memberships
My research pursues creative and effective implementation and evaluation of leading-edge design tools in design education and practice, i.e. 3D Printing, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and any best available technologies in the future.
My latest research interests include:
Digital Design Process
Extended Reality and Product Design
Creativity and Design Behaviours
- Kuys B., Ranscombe C. and Zhang W. (2023) Visualising product concepts to engage manufacturers with little or no industrial design capability. Design Studies 87 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2023.101188.
- Ranscombe C., Zhang W., Eisenbart B. and Kuys B. (2021) Which visualisation tools and why? Evaluating perceptions of student and practicing designers toward Digital Sketching. Design and Technology Education 26 3.
- Ranscombe C., Zhang W., Snider C. and Hicks B. (2023) A Critical Appraisal of Mixed Reality Prototyping to Support Studio Design Education. In Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2023.9.
- Zhang W., Ranscombe C., Piumsomboon T. and Mallya P. (2023) What Determines VR Integration in Design Practice? An Investigation of Industrial Designer's Acceptance of VR Visualisation Tools. In Proceedings of the Design Society 3: 3861-3870. Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2023.387.
- Novoa Munoz M., Howell BF., Hoftijzer JW., Rodríguez Díaz JM., Zhang W. and Kramer N. (2022) NEW COLLABORATIVE WORKFLOWS - IMMERSIVE CO-DESIGN FROM SKETCHING TO 3D CAD AND PRODUCTION. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Disrupt, Innovate, Regenerate and Transform, E and PDE 2022.