Industrial Product Design
Embracing leading-edge design tools in education to ensure the success of our future designers in the industry.
Qualifications & Memberships
My research pursues creative and effective implementation and evaluation of leading-edge design tools in design education and practice, i.e. 3D Printing, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and any best available technologies in the future.
My latest research interests include:
Digital Design Process
Extended Reality and Product Design
Creativity and Design Behaviours
- Kuys B., Ranscombe C. and Zhang W. (2023) Visualising product concepts to engage manufacturers with little or no industrial design capability. Design Studies 87 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2023.101188.
- Ranscombe C. and Zhang W. (2021) What motivates and discourages designers to use digital sketching? Comparing its use to externalise ideas versus communicating with external stakeholders. Proceedings of the Design Society 1: 3441-3450. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2021.605.
- Ranscombe C., Zhang W., Eisenbart B. and Kuys B. (2021) Which visualisation tools and why? Evaluating perceptions of student and practicing designers toward Digital Sketching. Design and Technology Education 26 3.
- Zhang W. and Ranscombe C. (2021) Embracing new visualisation tools in education: How the learning experience of digital sketching influences its use in design practice. Proceedings of the Design Society 1: 1353-1362. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/pds.2021.135.
- Novoa Munoz M., Howell BF., Hoftijzer JW., Rodríguez Díaz JM., Zhang W. and Kramer N. (2022) NEW COLLABORATIVE WORKFLOWS - IMMERSIVE CO-DESIGN FROM SKETCHING TO 3D CAD AND PRODUCTION. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Disrupt, Innovate, Regenerate and Transform, E and PDE 2022.