My areas of expertise are Bioengineering, Fluid Mechanics, Heat and Mass Transfer and Thermodynamics within a wide range of applications including combustion systems, plasma sources, refrigeration systems, electrospraying, physoloical modelling, biomedical device R&D and forensics applications. I have researched fluid flow, mixing and heat transfer in gas burner systems, agricultural sprays and heat exchangers; modelled heat transfer and energy consumption in electrical floor heating and aquatic systems; vacuum plasma source design for mass spectrometry; liquid atomization, droplet formation and flight for forensic and healthcare applications.
Some of my current research interests are in:
- mechanobiology, biomechanics and mitigation of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) in contact sport players;
- Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer of vapour deposition processes and Phase Change Materials (PCMs) for thermal management of electronic equipment;
- bloodstain pattern formation simulation and reconstruction in Augmented Reality (AR) for virtual crime scene analysis.
- G. Yazdi S., Docherty PD., Khanafer A., Jermy M., Kabaliuk N., Geoghegan PH. and Williamson P. (2020) In-vitro particle image velocimetry assessment of the endovascular haemodynamic features distal of stent-grafts that are associated with development of limb occlusion. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03036758.2020.1826988.
- Underwood L., Kiffer T., Sran H., Jay K., Villien A., Kabaliuk N. and Jermy M. (2019) Simultaneous assessment of thermal comfort and aerodynamic drag of cycling helmets as a function of ventilation hole configuration. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1754337119852538.
- Geoghegan PH., Spence CJT., Wilhelm J., Kabaliuk N., Taylor MC. and Jermy MC. (2016) Experimental and computational investigation of the trajectories of blood drops ejected from the nose. International Journal of Legal Medicine 130(2): 563-568. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00414-015-1163-9.
- Nejati A., Kabaliuk N., Jermy MC. and Cater JE. (2016) A deformable template method for describing and averaging the anatomical variation of the human nasal cavity. BMC Medical Imaging 16(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12880-016-0154-8.
- Van Hove SC., Storey J., Adams C., Dey K., Geoghegan PH., Kabaliuk N., Oldfield SD., Spence CJT., Jermy MC. and Suresh V. (2016) An Experimental and Numerical Investigation of CO
2Distribution in the Upper Airways During Nasal High Flow Therapy. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 44(10): 3007-3019. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-016-1604-8.