My research focuses on electrochemical energy technology and electrocatalysis
Qualifications & Memberships
The majority of my research interests are based around energy and hydrogen technologies. This includes activities on redox batteries, fuel cells, water electrolysis and conversion of biofuels in electrochemical reactors. I have an interest in surface chemistry, particularly using x-ray based methods to understand how and why reactions proceed on various surfaces. I have experience utilising synchrotron radiation to determine structure of materials and the binding of species to surfaces at the atomic scale under industrially relevant reaction conditions.
I have recently completed a Marsden funded project on electrocatalytic CO2 reduction, investigating the production of methanol from CO2 on Cu cathodes. I was also a PI on a project investigating ultra-high temperature electrodeposition of Ti from molten oxides. My current externally funded projects (total $3M) include leading a project on photoelectrochemical redox batteries (direct solar energy storage and conversion), zero-carbon iron production, and recovery of zinc from industrial waste.
In additional to my academic research projects, I have co-founded a start-up company who are now commercializing a waste treatment / metal recovery technology developed in my laboratory.
- Martin-Treceno S., Allanore A., Bishop C., Marshall A. and Watson M. (2021) Implications of the direct use of slag from ironmaking processes as a molten oxide electrolyte. JOM http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11837-021-04681-3.
- Martin-Treceno S., Hughes T., Weaver N., Marshall A., Watson M. and Bishop C. (2021) Electrochemical study on the reduction of Si and Ti from molten TiO2 − SiO2 − Al2O3 − MgO − CaO slag. Journal of The Electrochemical Society http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/1945-7111/ac0301.
- Martin-Treceno S., Weaver N., Allanore A., Bishop CM., Marshall AT. and Watson MJ. (2021) Corrigendum to “Electrochemical behaviour of titanium-bearing slag relevant for molten oxide electrolysis” [Electrochimica Acta 354 (2020) 136619] (Electrochimica Acta (2020) 354, (S0013468620310124), (10.1016/j.electacta.2020.136619)). Electrochimica Acta 373 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2021.137939.
- Scott A., Oze C., Shah V., Yang N., Shanks B., Cheeseman C., Marshall A. and Watson M. (2021) Transformation of abundant magnesium silicate minerals for enhanced CO2 sequestration. Communications Earth and Environment http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s43247-021-00099-6.
- Ahangari HT. and Marshall AT. (2020) Preventing the Deactivation of Gold Cathodes During Electrocatalytic CO2 Reduction While Avoiding Gold Dissolution. Electrocatalysis 11(1): 25-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12678-019-00564-z.