"Leveraging an understanding of microbial physiology and ecology into industrial applications"
My research is focused on applying fundamental microbiological research to a range of biotechnologies that address goals relating to global issues, such as public health, food production, water security, energy independence and environmental sustainability.
For over a decade, I have combined principles of biosystems engineering and bioreactor design with an understanding of metabolism, physiology and ecology to achieve a suite of applied microbiology research goals. Particular attention has been paid to the physiological role and expression of oxygen-tolerant [NiFe] respiratory hydrogenases and the application of extremophilic methane oxidising bacteria to produce biofeedstocks. I am also interested in the microbial production of environmentally-friendly bioplastics from organic wastes, microbial denitrification of wastewaters and bioremediation.
My current externally funded programmes (total $1.3M) include leading projects investigating the use of extremophilic microorganisms to produce next-generation protein feeds from industrial off-gases and investigating metabolic flexibility within methanotrophic bacteria.
- Islam ZF., Cordero PRF., Feng J., Chen YJ., Bay SK., Jirapanjawat T., Gleadow RM., Carere CR., Stott MB. and Chiri E. (2019) Two Chloroflexi classes independently evolved the ability to persist on atmospheric hydrogen and carbon monoxide. ISME Journal 13(7): 1801-1813. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41396-019-0393-0.
- Power JF., Carere CR., Lee CK., Wakerley GLJ., Evans DW., Button M., White D., Climo MD., Hinze AM. and Morgan XC. (2018) Microbial biogeography of 925 geothermal springs in New Zealand. Nature Communications 9(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-05020-y.
- Stewart LC., Houghton K., Carere CR., Power JF., Chambefort I. and Stott MB. (2018) Interaction between ferruginous clay sediment and an iron-reducing hyperthermophilic Pyrobaculum sp. in a terrestrial hot spring. FEMS microbiology ecology 94(11) http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiy160.
- Wijeyekoon S., Carere CR., West M., Nath S. and Gapes D. (2018) Mixed culture polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) synthesis from nutrient rich wet oxidation liquors. Water Research 140: 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.04.017.
- Carere CR., Hards K., Houghton KM., Power JF., McDonald B., Collet C., Gapes DJ., Sparling R., Boyd ES. and Cook GM. (2017) Mixotrophy drives niche expansion of verrucomicrobial methanotrophs. The ISME Journal 11(11): 2599-2610. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2017.112.