My research interests and contributions fall largely within neural engineering and the neurosciences, and particularly within (1) human performance engineering – development and application of computerized tests for quantification of upper-limb sensory-motor and cognitive function, particularly in brain disorders (stroke, Parkinson’s disease, traumatic brain injury) and driver assessment, (2) lapses of responsiveness (microsleeps, attention lapses) – characteristics, brain mechanisms via simultaneous-fMRI+EEG+Tracking+EyeClosure, and detection from behavioural measures (tracking and videometrics) and electrophysiological signals (EEG, EOG), (3) signal processing in clinical neurophysiology – detection of epileptic activity, (4) eye movements in brain disorders, (5) computational modelling of the human brain, (6) neural control of swallowing, (7) obstructive sleep apnea and adverse effects on brain, and (8) forensic brainwave analysis.
- Baseer Buriro A., Shoorangiz R., Weddell SJ. and Jones RD. (2018) Predicting microsleep states using EEG inter-channel relationships. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 26(12): 2260-2269. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2018.2878587.
- Buriro AB., Shoorangiz R., Weddell SJ. and Jones RD. (2018) Ensemble learning based on overlapping clusters of subjects to predict microsleep states from EEG. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS 2018-July: 3036-3039. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512962.
- Erfmann K., Guiu Hernandez E., Macrae P., Jones R. and Huckabee M-L. (2018) The influence of cerebellar stimulation on motor learning in swallowing. Christchurch NEW ZEALAND: Stroke Rehab: From no-tech to go-tech Conference, 29-31 Jan 2018.
- Guiu Hernandez E., Gozdzikowska K., Jones R. and Huckabee ML. (2018) Comparison of unidirectional and circumferential manometric measures within the pharyngoesophageal segment: an exploratory study. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology 275(9): 2303-2310. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00405-018-5019-z.
- Poudel GR., Innes CRH. and Jones RD. (2018) Temporal evolution of neural activity and connectivity during microsleeps when rested and following sleep restriction. NeuroImage 174: 263-273. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.03.031.