Qualifications & Memberships
I am a senior lecturer in the School of Product Design, teaching Engineering Design and Analysis skills for Industrial Product Design students. I have a passion for teaching and am inspired by the creativity and flexibility of product design students. I am interested in the integration of engineering science, digital design, analysis, and manufacturing in the product design curriculum and considering how these techniques impact on productivity and project outcomes.
My background is in engineering design and applied simulation methods. Having worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer for consultants Ove Arup and Partners, I returned to the University of Sheffield to undertake a PhD in 2009. My work used simulation methods and physical testing to aid in the diagnosis of the causes of suspected non-accidental injury in children. Since then I have held largely teaching-centric roles, augmented with industrial projects and consultancy work, undertaking design, testing, and analysis of orthopaedic devices, as well as structures for the oil and gas and automotive industries.
My ongoing research interests include the design and analysis of sports and rehabilitative equipment, and the integration of digital design and analysis tools in the product design process. I am also interested in the use of materials in product design, in particular engaging lower impact and waste materials within design. My teaching and service roles have driven an interest in pedagogical research, including the integration of digital design and engineering science in industrial product design, as well as the structuring and delivery of programs and courses for engineering and industrial product design.
- Manu T., Nazmi AR., Shahri B., Emerson N. and Huber T. (2022) Biocomposites: A review of materials and perception. Materials Today Communications 31 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mtcomm.2022.103308.
- Emerson NJ. and Hall W. (2021) Design for ergonomics in the bicycle industry: An engineering design concept. International Journal of Product Development 25(1): 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJPD.2021.115699.
- Hall W., Palmer S., Howell S., Javanbakht Z. and Emerson N. (2020) An Evaluation of an Experiential Learning Initiative in a First-Year Engineering Materials Course. Journal of Materials Education 42(5-6): 193-202.
- Howell S., Hall W. and Emerson N. (2020) Implementing an Integrated First-Year Engineering Curriculum with Mixed Teaching Approaches. ASEAN Journal of Engineering Education 4(1): 1-10.
- Thiel DV., Worsey MTO., Klodzinski F., Emerson N. and Espinosa HG. (2020) A Penetrometer for Quantifying the Surface Stiffness of Sport Sand Surfaces. The 13th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/proceedings2020049064.