Qualifications & Memberships
I am working in the area of Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED). This means that I am interested in AI, Education (especially teaching strategies), Psychology (particularly to do with learning and behaviour), and of course Computer Science & Software Engineering.
Our research group focuses on building intelligent and adaptive educational systems – systems that allow the student to explore and learn while receiving customised guidance. These systems are intelligent enough to
* know about a particular domain semantically and syntactically (domain modelling),
* know and reason about each student (student modelling) using their current knowledge on each of the
domain concepts and the history of their performance in the system,
* provide adaptive (customised) guidance to each student,
* allow the student to see a visualisation of their student model, and
* optionally allow the student to negotiate their student model (argue for a change in their student model).
A change in their student model would lead to different adaptations.
- Mitrovic A., Chen X. and Mathews M. (2018) Exploring Adaptive Strategies for Providing Learning Activities. Singapore: 26th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP '18), 8-11 Jul 2018. In Proceedings UMAP '18: 139-145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3209219.3209221.
- Chen X., Mitrovic A. and Mathews M. (2017) Does Adaptive Provision of Learning Activities Improve Learning in SQL-Tutor? Wuhan, China: 18th Int. Conf. Artificial Intelligence in Education, 28 Jun-1 Jul 2017. In Springer LNAI 10331 LNAI 10331: 476-479.
- Chen X., Mitrovic A. and Mathews M. (2017) How much Learning Support should be provided to novices and advanced students? Timisoara, Romania: IEEE 17th Int. Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies, 3 Jul-7 Oct 2017. In ISSN: 2161-377X: 39-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICALT.2017.43.
- Hayashi Y., Mathews M. and Supnithi T. (2017) Message from the chairs. In ICCE 2017 - 25th International Conference on Computers in Education: Technology and Innovation: Computer-Based Educational Systems for the 21st Century, Workshop Proceedings: i.
- Mitrovic A., Dimitrova V., Lau L., Weerasinghe A. and Mathews M. (2017) Supporting Constructive Video-based Learning: Requirements Elicitation from Exploratory Studies. Wuhan, China: 18th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED), 28 Jun-1 Jul 2017. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science 10331: 224-237. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61425-0_19.