Qualifications & Memberships
I am working in the area of Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED). This means that I am interested in AI, Education (especially teaching strategies), Psychology (particularly to do with learning and behaviour), and of course Computer Science & Software Engineering.
Our research group focuses on building intelligent and adaptive educational systems – systems that allow the student to explore and learn while receiving customised guidance. These systems are intelligent enough to
* know about a particular domain semantically and syntactically (domain modelling),
* know and reason about each student (student modelling) using their current knowledge on each of the
domain concepts and the history of their performance in the system,
* provide adaptive (customised) guidance to each student,
* allow the student to see a visualisation of their student model, and
* optionally allow the student to negotiate their student model (argue for a change in their student model).
A change in their student model would lead to different adaptations.
- Chen X., Mitrovic A. and Mathews M. (2019) Investigating the Effect of Agency on Learning from Worked Examples, Erroneous Examples and Problem Solving. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40593-019-00179-x.
- Mitrovic A., Chen X. and Mathews M. (2018) Exploring Adaptive Strategies for Providing Learning Activities. Singapore: 26th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP '18), 8-11 Jul 2018. In Proceedings UMAP '18: 139-145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3209219.3209221.
- Chen X., Mitrovic A. and Mathews M. (2017) Does Adaptive Provision of Learning Activities Improve Learning in SQL-Tutor? Wuhan, China: 18th Int. Conf. Artificial Intelligence in Education, 28 Jun-1 Jul 2017. In Springer LNAI 10331 LNAI 10331: 476-479.
- Chen X., Mitrovic A. and Mathews M. (2017) How much Learning Support should be provided to novices and advanced students? Timisoara, Romania: IEEE 17th Int. Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies, 3 Jul-7 Oct 2017. In ISSN: 2161-377X: 39-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICALT.2017.43.
- Hayashi Y., Mathews M. and Supnithi T. (2017) Message from the chairs. In ICCE 2017 - 25th International Conference on Computers in Education: Technology and Innovation: Computer-Based Educational Systems for the 21st Century, Workshop Proceedings: i.