My research is focussed on applying geospatial data, tools, and techniques to solving applied problems. I focus primarily on forested landscapes (both native and plantation), though I have a specific interest in urban forests. I work extensively with LiDAR, aerial photography and satellite imagery datasets, within the e-Cognition (object-based image analysis), ArcGIS, and Fusion environments.
- Benson AR. and Morgenroth J. (2019) Root pruning negatively affects tree value: A comparison of tree appraisal methods. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 43 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2019.126376.
- Benson AR., Koeser AK. and Morgenroth JA. (2019) A test of tree protection zones: Responses of Quercus virginiana Mill trees to root severance treatments. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 38: 54-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.10.015.
- Benson AR., Morgenroth JA. and Koeser AK. (2019) The effects of root pruning on growth and physiology of two Acer species in New Zealand. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 38: 64-73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.11.006.
- Dash JP., Watt MS., Paul TSH., Morgenroth J. and Pearse GD. (2019) Early Detection of Invasive Exotic Trees Using UAV and Manned Aircraft Multispectral and LiDAR Data. Remote Sensing 11(15) 1812 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs11151812.
- Guo T., Morgenroth J. and Conway T. (2019) To plant, remove, or retain: Understanding property owner decisions about trees during redevelopment. Landscape and Urban Planning 190 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2019.103601.