Qualifications & Awards
My research is focussed on applying geospatial data, tools, and techniques to solving applied problems. I focus primarily on forested landscapes (both native and plantation), though I have a specific interest in urban forests. I work extensively with LiDAR, aerial photography and satellite imagery datasets, within the e-Cognition (object-based image analysis), ArcGIS, and Fusion environments.
- Millen P., van Ballekom S., Altaner C., Apiolaza L., Mason E., McConnochie R., Morgenroth JA. and Murray T. (2018) Durable eucalypt forests – a multi-regional opportunity for investment in New Zealand drylands. New Zealand Journal of Forestry 63(1): 11-23.
- Phiri D., Morgenroth JA., Xu C. and Hermosilla T. (2018) Effects of pre-processing methods on Landsat OLI-8 land cover classification using OBIA and random forests classifier. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 73: 170-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2018.06.014.
- Xu C., Manley B. and Morgenroth JA. (2018) Evaluation of modelling approaches in predicting forest volume and stand age for small-scale plantation forests in New Zealand with RapidEye and LiDAR. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 73: 386-396. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2018.06.021.
- Gomez C., Kataoka K., Saputra A., Wassmer P., Urabe A., Morgenroth JA. and Kato A. (2017) Photogrammetry-based Texture Analysis of a Volcaniclastic Outcrop-peel: Low-cost Alternative to TLS and Automation Potentialities using Haar Wavelet and Spatial-Analysis Algorithms. Forum Geografi 31(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.23917/forgeo.v31i1.3977.
- Manley B., Morgenroth J., Visser R. and Final year BForSc students. (2017) Quantifying the small-scale owners' estate in Canterbury, Otago and Southland. New Zealand Journal of Forestry 62(3): 24-32.