I’m interested in understanding urban trees and the critical roles they play in cities around the world. The trees that comprise urban forests face considerable abiotic and biotic stress, but help to make cities liveable, providing residents with healthy, sustainable, and desirable places to live and work. To that end, I research the growth, function, management, and ecosystem services of trees in urban environments. I also lead the ‘New Zealand Urban Forest Initiative’, which connects researchers and urban forest stakeholders, such that new research can be used to inform best practices in urban forest management in New Zealand.
I also study the spatial and temporal dynamics of New Zealand’s indigenous forests and exotic forest plantations using a range of quantitative techniques. I work extensively with remote sensing or earth observation techniques, including lidar, as well as aerial and satellite imagery. In this capacity, I lead the ‘Geospatial Research and Analysis Lab’ at the School of Forestry.
- Benson A. and Morgenroth J. (2021) The Root of the Problem. Tree Matters 90: 9-13.
- Salekin S., Bloomberg M., Morgenroth J., Meason DF. and Mason EG. (2021) Within-site drivers for soil nutrient variability in plantation forests: A case study from dry sub-humid New Zealand. Catena 200 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2021.105149.
- Salekin S., Catalán CH., Boczniewicz D., Phiri D., Morgenroth J., Meason DF. and Mason EG. (2021) Global tree taper modelling: A review of applications, methods, functions, and their parameters. Forests 12(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/f12070913.
- Salekin S., Mason EG., Morgenroth J., Bloomberg M. and Meason DF. (2021) Hybrid height growth and survival model for juvenile Eucalyptus globoidea (Blakely) and E. bosistoana (F. Muell) in New Zealand. Forest Ecology and Management 490 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2021.119074.
- de Gouw S., Morgenroth J. and Xu C. (2020) An updated survey on the use of geospatial technologies in New Zealand’s plantation forestry sector. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 50 8 http://dx.doi.org/10.33494/nzjfs502020x118x.