I’m interested in understanding urban trees and the critical roles they play in cities around the world. The trees that comprise urban forests face considerable abiotic and biotic stress, but help to make cities liveable, providing residents with healthy, sustainable, and desirable places to live and work. To that end, I research the growth, function, management, and ecosystem services of trees in urban environments. I also lead the ‘New Zealand Urban Forest Initiative’, which connects researchers and urban forest stakeholders, such that new research can be used to inform best practices in urban forest management in New Zealand.
I also study the spatial and temporal dynamics of New Zealand’s indigenous forests and exotic forest plantations using a range of quantitative techniques. I work extensively with remote sensing or earth observation techniques, including lidar, as well as aerial and satellite imagery. In this capacity, I lead the ‘Geospatial Research and Analysis Lab’ at the School of Forestry.
- Manley B., Morgenroth J. and Xu C. (2020) Quantifying the area of the small-scale owners’ forest estate in the East Coast, Hawke’s Bay and Southern North Island. New Zealand Journal of Forestry 64(4): 18-26.
- Morgenroth J., Nowak DJ. and Koeser AK. (2020) DBH Distributions in America’s Urban Forests—An Overview of Structural Diversity. Forests 11(2): 135-135. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/f11020135.
- Salekin S., Mason E., Morgenroth J. and Meason DF. (2020) A preliminary growth and yield model for Eucalyptus globoidea Blakely plantations in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 50 http://dx.doi.org/10.33494/nzjfs502020x55x.
- Benson AR. and Morgenroth J. (2019) Root pruning negatively affects tree value: A comparison of tree appraisal methods. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 43 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2019.126376.
- Benson AR., Koeser AK. and Morgenroth J. (2019) Responses of mature roadside trees to root severance treatments. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 46 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2019.126448.