You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem and the next one, and then the next. And if you solve enough problems, you get to come home.
Qualifications & Memberships
Joe's primary research is in the field of imaging, where he uses X-rays, electrons, optical light and sound waves, among other things, to look at everything from galaxies to protein molecules - with the aim of visualising our universe and understanding how things work.
He has experience in phase retrieval and X-ray diffractive imaging, exploring computational algorithms that reconstruct 3-dimensional images of proteins and viruses from X-ray diffraction data collected at synchrotrons and X-ray free-electron lasers (XFEL).
More recently, Joe is looking into applying ultrasonic ideas for biomedical and environmental applications that will hopefully go on to help many people.
Joe's other research interests include acoustic engineering, quantum optics/computing, optimisation algorithms and astrobiology.
- Doppler D., Rabbani MT., Letrun R., Villarreal JC., Kim DH., Gandhi S., Egatz-Gomez A., Sonker M., Chen J. and Koua FHM. (2022) Co-flow injection for serial crystallography at X-ray free-electron lasers. Journal of Applied Crystallography 55: 1-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S1600576721011079.
- Mobley BR., Schmidt KE., Chen JPJ. and Kirian RA. (2022) A Metropolis Monte Carlo algorithm for merging single-particle diffraction intensities. Acta Crystallographica Section A: Foundations and Advances 78: 200-211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S2053273322001395.
- Chen JPJ., Schmidt KE., Spence JCH. and Kirian RA. (2021) A new solution to the curved Ewald sphere problem for 3D image reconstruction in electron microscopy. Ultramicroscopy 224 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultramic.2021.113234.
- Chen JPJ., Donatelli JJ., Schmidt KE. and Kirian RA. (2019) Shape transform phasing of edgy nanocrystals. Acta Crystallographica Section A: Foundations and Advances 75: 239-259. http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S205327331900113X.
- Morgan AJ., Ayyer K., Barty A., Chen JPJ., Ekeberg T., Oberthuer D., White TA., Yefanov O. and Chapman HN. (2019) Ab initio phasing of the diffraction of crystals with translational disorder. Acta Crystallographica Section A Foundations and Advances 75(1): 25-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/s2053273318015395.