Elevated blood sugar concentrations (hyperglycaemia) commonly occur in very premature infants in neonatal intensive care, and have been associated with increased mortality and worsened outcomes. Insulin can be used to treat hyperglycaemia, but current clinical practice worldwide often results in dangerously low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia). This research uses mathematical models of glucose-insulin physiology and statistical forecasting to determine an insulin dosage that is safe and effective. This model-based protocol is implemented as a tablet-based application, and is used in neonatal intensive care units in New Zealand and Hungary.
- Dickson JLKN., Lynn AM., Shaw GM. and Geoffrey Chase J. (2019) Safe and effective glycaemic control in premature infants: Observational clinical results from the computerised STAR-GRYPHON protocol. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition 104(2): F205-F211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2017-314072.
- Knopp JL., Signal M., Harris DL., Marics G., Weston P., Harding J., Tóth-Heyn P., Hómlok J., Benyó B. and Chase JG. (2019) Modelling intestinal glucose absorption in premature infants using continuous glucose monitoring data. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 171: 41-51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2018.10.005.
- Dickson JL., Stewart KW., Pretty CG., Flechet M., Desaive T., Penning S., Lambermont BC., Benyo B., Shaw GM. and Chase JG. (2018) Generalisability of a Virtual Trials Method for Glycaemic Control in Intensive Care. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 65(7): 1543-1553. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2017.2686432.
- Morton SE., Dickson J., Chase JG., Docherty P., Desaive T., Howe SL., Shaw GM. and Tawhai M. (2018) A virtual patient model for mechanical ventilation. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 165: 77-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2018.08.004.
- Zhou T., Dickson JL. and Geoffrey Chase J. (2018) Autoregressive Modeling of Drift and Random Error to Characterize a Continuous Intravascular Glucose Monitoring Sensor. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 12(1): 90-104. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1932296817719089.