Qualifications & Memberships
My primary research interest is in environmental statistics and I have expertise in survey design and environmental monitoring. Research in environmental statistics is collaborative by its very nature, and I work with both statisticians and biologists. As an applied statistician I am involved in projects in a variety of application areas and as such publish in a wide range of journals.
I have an international reputation in survey design and environmental monitoring and am often asked by overseas agencies for advice and assistance in designing environmental monitoring programmes, specifically designs for animal and plant monitoring. I have provided advice and support in France, Italy, Spain, USA and Australia, as well as in New Zealand. I have hosted international workshops on survey design and environmental monitoring.
My research interests are broad and go beyond environmental statistics. I work in other application areas, most recently, human health and wellbeing. I also work in theoretical statistics, with publications in topics ranging from theoretical sampling to regression trees.
I am committed to developing leadership in the mathematical sciences, including statistics and data science. I provide advice and support for emerging leaders.
- Robertson BL., Reale M., Price CJ. and Brown JA. (2021) Quasi-random ranked set sampling. Statistics and Probability Letters 171 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.spl.2020.109029.
- Brown J. and Panahbehagh B. (2020) Alternative approach to finite population estimation with many zero values.. Journal of the Korean Statistical Society http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s42952-019-00041-9.
- Wickramarachchi DC., Robertson BL., Reale M., Price CJ. and Brown JA. (2019) A reflected feature space for CART. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics 61(3): 380-391. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/anzs.12275.
- Osinubi S., McGraw K., Ottosson U., Brown J., Briskie J. and Chapman H. (2018) Carotenoid-based plumage pigmentation and concentration as a function of sex and habitat type in the Yellow-breasted Boubou Laniarius atroflavus. Ostrich: Journal of African Ornithology 89(3): 259-264.
- Robertson BL., McDonald T., Price C. and Brown J. (2018) Halton iterative partitioning: spatially balanced sampling via partitioning. Environmental and Ecological Statistics 25(3): 305-323. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10651-018-0406-6.