Scientific work starts with definitions and ends with models.
One of my research goals is to develop advanced materials based on understanding of the “Structure-State-Property” relationship. The specific objectives to achieve the goal are:
(1) Synthesizing novel polymeric resins to give specific properties
(2) developing processes to produce polymeric products
(3) developing scientific instruments to characterize polymeric resins and products.
Considering current environmental issues, I am researching and developing environmentally benign polymers. Biodegradable polymers in the market have low mechanical properties yet are expensive. Thus, the natural direction is enhancing properties and lowering the cost. Production processes should also be environment-friendly, so that I am developing processes utilising inert gases or supercritical fluids to replace toxic chemicals such as chemical blowing agents for foaming process.
Most polymer processes involve high-pressure such in extrusion, and thus I have been studying the effects of pressure and temperature on properties and synthesis of polymers. Changing those variable also induces phase changes of the materials, and these are also of my research topics.
I am studying the following materials
biodegradable fibres (fishing nets)
biodegradable films (agricultural mulch films)
biodegradable foams (insulator, floats, and cushion)
biomedical sealants (replacing suture)
Developing processes at high pressure is another objective of my research goals. I have been studying effects of processing variables (temperature, pressure, and concentration of additives) on extracting specific chemicals from various materials such as sea animals and plants and on sterilising foods.
- Lin L., Dang QA. and Park HE. (2023) Enhanced Degradability, Mechanical Properties, and Flame Retardation of Poly(Lactic Acid) Composite with New Zealand Jade (Pounamu) Particles. Polymers 15 3270 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/polym1515327.
- Lin L., Mirkin S. and Park HE. (2023) Biodegradable composite film of brewer’s spent grain and poly(vinyl alcohol). Processes 11(8): 2400-2400. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pr11082400.
- Park HE. (2023) Special Issue—Polymer Composites: Materials and Processes for Challenging Applications. Processes 11(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pr11041045.
- Egerton S., Sim C., Park HE., Staiger MP., Patil KM. and Cowan MG. (2022) Controlling coefficients of thermal expansion in thermoplastic materials: effects of zinc cyanide and ionic liquid. Materials Advances http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/d2ma00338d.
- Li X., Pan T., Choi J., Park H., Wu Z. and Yip ACK. (2022) Comparison of Catalytic Consequences of Ionic Liquid-Templated ZSM-22 and ZSM-5 Zeolites in Propene Dimerization. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 337 111941 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2022.111941.