Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests are in topological and finite geometry and their connections to groups. I am the leading expert in the theory of topological circle planes and for Laguerre and Minkowski planes. I pioneered the cut-and-paste method for the construction of topological geometries beginning with the first examples of 2-dimensional projective planes whose collineation groups consist only of the identity. In the area of Laguerre planes I discovered the first non-classical models of 4-dimensional Laguerre planes. This brought to an end a 20-year long search and opened the door for further investigations of such planes and related geometries, such as 6-dimensional generalized quadrangles. I further introduced elation Laguerre planes, a particularly nice and well-behaved class of Laguerre planes that have the potential to play a role in the theory of Lagurre planes that is analogous to the one of translation planes in the theory of projective planes. In the area of Minkowski planes I introduced a standard representation of 4-dimensional Minkowski planes which significantly reduced the verification of the various defining topological properties of 4-dimensional Minkowski planes and I constructed the first examples of 4-dimensional non-classical Minkowski planes thus concluding a 30-year long search for such planes.
- Creutz B., Ho D. and Steinke GF. (2018) On automorphism groups of toroidal circle planes. Journal of Geometry 109(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00022-018-0420-8.
- Steinke GF. (2018) A FAMILY OF TWO-DIMENSIONAL LAGUERRE PLANES OF KLEINEWILLINGHOFER TYPE IIA2. Journal of the Australian Mathematical Society 105(3): 366-379. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1446788717000398.
- Steinke GF. (2017) Collineations of finite 2-affine planes. Designs, Codes, and Cryptography 85(1): 107-120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10623-016-0292-6.
- Steinke GF. (2017) Modified classical flat Minkowski planes. Advances in Geometry 17(3): 379-396. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/advgeom-2017-0026.
- Steinke GF. and Stroppel MJ. (2017) On elation Laguerre planes with a two-transitive orbit on the set of generators. Stuttgarter Mathematische Berichte 2017-009: 18.