Head of DepartmentGeoff Rodgers
Professor Rodgers specialises in dynamic system modelling, instrumentation and control for applications from earthquake engineering to biomedicine. While these may initially seem like disparate research areas, the fundamental mechanics and the key skill set required are closely similar. His research in structural damping devices has seen uptake by the profession, progressing from an initial concept through development, modelling, experiments, and finally deployment within the Christchurch rebuild and internationally, enabling improvements in building resilience.
His research in bioengineering seeks to create a meaningful difference to the quality of life of joint replacement patients. His bioengineering research includes dynamic measurement, signal processing, non-linear modelling, video motion tracking, and gait analysis/biomechanics. Projects include acoustic monitoring of total hip replacement implants and lung mechanics, as well as computational optimisation of orthopaedic implant design.
He has also undertaken structural monitoring, assessing the performance of buildings through the Canterbury earthquake sequence, through international linkages with UCLA, Texas A&M, and Duke Universities.
He has also undertaken major international projects with the International Joint Research Laboratory for Earthquake Engineering at Tongji University in Shanghai. These major internationally collaborative projects utilise international testing facilities well beyond anything available within NZ. He has two additional ongoing projects to undertake large-scale experimental tests at the same shake-table test facility.
His research has received numerous awards and featured in media, including the BBC, German TV, Radio NZ, Australasian Science Magazine, and The Press.
- Chanchi Golondrino JC., MacRae GA., Chase JG., Rodgers GW. and Clifton GC. (2022) Asymmetric Friction Connection Bolt Lever Arm Effects on Hysteretic Behaviour. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 26(3): 1543-1564. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2020.1733136.
- FitzPatrick AJ., Rodgers GW., Fernandez JW. and Hooper GJ. (2022) Synchronized acoustic emission and gait analysis of total hip replacement patients. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 74 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2022.103488.
- Gu A., Zhou Y., Henry RS., Lu Y. and Rodgers GW. (2022) Simulation of shake-table test for a two-story low-damage concrete wall building. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 29(10) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/stc.3038.
- Lu Y., Henry RS., Zhou Y., Rodgers GW., Yang Q. and Gu A. (2022) Data Set for a Shake-Table Test of a 2-Story Low-Damage Concrete Wall Building. Journal of Structural Engineering (United States) 148(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0003348.
- Rabiepour M., Zhou C., Chase JG., Rodgers GW. and Xu C. (2022) Structural health monitoring for pinching structures via hysteretic mechanics models. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 82(2): 245-258. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sem.2022.82.2.245.