Assoc. Prof. Crossin is passionate about developing engineers who are prepared for work in the 21st century.
My current research interests are in engineering practice and environmental life cycle assessment (LCA).
The field of engineering practice focuses on what engineers do and the contexts in which they practice. Engineering practice has the potential to inform how and what is taught in engineering, both in the workplace and at institutions.
My research on engineering practice is focused on understanding how engineering practice is changing in response to a suite of factors, including technology and socio-economics. Despite advanced in engineering practice research, very little is known about how and why engineering practice has changed.
I am leading The BeLongEng Project across multiple institutions. The aim of the BeLongEng project is to provide evidence for policy and change in engineering practice and education. Through this project, the BeLongEng team will track the practices and contexts of a cohort (panel) of individual engineers over time, using a prospective longitudinal cohort approach. It is anticipated that this project will provide evidence into how and why engineering practice is changing, leading to a more responsive and productive learning and workplace ecosystem.
My life cycle assessment research focuses on understanding the environmental performance of new material systems, and waste management systems.
- Mann L., Chang R., Chandrasekaran S., Coddington A., Daniel S., Cook E., Crossin E., Cosson B., Turner J. and Mazzurco A. (2021) From problem-based learning to practice-based education: a framework for shaping future engineers. European Journal of Engineering Education 46(1): 27-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2019.1708867.
- Mazzurco A., Crossin E., Chandrasekaran S., Daniel S. and Sadewo GRP. (2021) Empirical research studies of practicing engineers: a mapping review of journal articles 2000–2018. European Journal of Engineering Education 46(4): 479-502. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2020.1818693.
- Moazzem S., Crossin E., Daver F. and Wang L. (2021) Assessing environmental impact reduction opportunities through life cycle assessment of apparel products. Sustainable Production and Consumption 28: 663-674. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2021.06.015.
- Moazzem S., Crossin E., Daver F. and Wang L. (2021) Life cycle assessment of apparel consumption in Australia. Environmental and Climate Technologies 25(1): 71-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/rtuect-2021-0006.
- Moazzem S., Wang L., Daver F. and Crossin E. (2021) Environmental impact of discarded apparel landfilling and recycling. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 166 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2020.105338.