Assoc. Prof. Crossin is passionate about developing engineers who are prepared for work in the 21st century.
My current research interests are in engineering practice and environmental life cycle assessment (LCA).
The field of engineering practice focuses on what engineers do and the contexts in which they practice. Engineering practice has the potential to inform how and what is taught in engineering, both in the workplace and at institutions.
My research on engineering practice is focused on understanding how engineering practice is changing in response to a suite of factors, including technology and socio-economics. Despite advanced in engineering practice research, very little is known about how and why engineering practice has changed.
I am leading The BeLongEng Project across multiple institutions. The aim of the BeLongEng project is to provide evidence for policy and change in engineering practice and education. Through this project, the BeLongEng team will track the practices and contexts of a cohort (panel) of individual engineers over time, using a prospective longitudinal cohort approach. It is anticipated that this project will provide evidence into how and why engineering practice is changing, leading to a more responsive and productive learning and workplace ecosystem.
My life cycle assessment research focuses on understanding the environmental performance of new material systems, and waste management systems.
- Crossin E., Richards JI., Dart S. and Naswall K. (2023) A taxonomy of common engineering activities and competencies. Australasian Journal of Engineering Education http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/22054952.2023.2214454.
- Crossin E., Dart S., Gardner A., Pawsey F. and Näswall K. (2022) The BeLongEng Project – protocol and baseline data for a prospective longitudinal cohort study of engineers in Australia and New Zealand. In.
- Moazzem S., Crossin E., Daver F. and Wang L. (2022) Environmental impact of apparel supply chain and textile products. Environment, Development and Sustainability 24(8): 9757-9775. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10668-021-01873-4.
- Surovtseva D., Crossin E., Pell R. and Stamford L. (2022) Toward a life cycle inventory for graphite production. Journal of Industrial Ecology 26(3): 964-979. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jiec.13234.
- Mann L., Chang R., Chandrasekaran S., Coddington A., Daniel S., Cook E., Crossin E., Cosson B., Turner J. and Mazzurco A. (2021) From problem-based learning to practice-based education: a framework for shaping future engineers. European Journal of Engineering Education 46(1): 27-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2019.1708867.