Industrial and management engineering
Qualifications & Memberships
Main research areas are special purpose machine design, industrial plant and simulation of processes, engineering professional practice, engineering safety including risk and human factors, biomedical engineering, and systems engineering.
INDUSTRIAL R&D AND SPECIAL PURPOSE MACHINE DESIGN: Injection molding, bobbin friction stir welding, 3D printing, plant simulation. Also specific research in industrial areas as the need arises. Examples are manufacture of wire fencing, internal combustion engine, food processing plant, solar desalination.
Research in ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE: ethics, biculturalism, environmental, life cycle, society, communication, legal, pedagogy, graduate attributes.
Research in ENGINEERING SAFETY: manufacturing and plant safety, safe systems, health & safety methods, risk, reliability engineering, human error, human factors, disaster analysis, long term (chronic) health & quality of life.
BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING: clinical engineering, musculoskeletal biomechanics, medical devices.
DESIGN, ANALYSIS AND MANUFACTURING: lean, minimisation of waste, plant simulation, production engineering, environmental issues, life cycle assessment, engineering design, finite element analysis, commissioning.
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING: requirements analysis, engineering project management, V processes, commissioning.
FOUNDATIONAL MECHANICS: physics theory development at the sub-particle level (no supervision offered).
I offer supervision to PhD and Masters students.
- Allison SJ., Docherty PD., Pons D. and Geoffrey Chase J. (2020) Exposure to methoxyflurane: Low-dose analgesia and occupational exposure. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine 17 http://dx.doi.org/10.33151/ajp.17.712.
- Ji Z., Pons DJ. and Pearse J. (2020) Plant system simulation for engineering training workshops. Computer Applications in Engineering Education 28(1): 17-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cae.22171.
- Nestsiarovich K. and Pons D. (2020) Team role adoption and distribution in engineering project meetings. Behavioral Sciences 10(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/bs10020057.
- Tamadon A., Pons DJ. and Clucas D. (2020) Analogue Modelling of Flow Patterns in Bobbin Friction Stir Welding by the Dark-Field/Bright-Field Illumination Method. Advances in Materials Science 20(1): 56-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/adms-2020-0003.
- Tamadon A., Pons DJ. and Clucas D. (2020) Flow-Based Anatomy of Bobbin Friction-Stirred Weld; AA6082-T6 Aluminium Plate and Analogue Plasticine Model. Applied Mechanics 1(1): 3-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/applmech1010002.