Industrial and management engineering
Qualifications & Memberships
My main expertise is in engineering practice and research in the following areas:
INDUSTRIAL R&D projects: Injection molding, bobbin friction stir welding, 3D printing, plant simulation. Also specific research in industrial areas as the need arises. Examples are manufacture of wire fencing, internal combustion engine, food processing plant, solar desalination.
Research in ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE: ethics, biculturalism, environmental, life cycle, society, communication, legal, pedagogy, graduate attributes.
Research in ENGINEERING SAFETY: manufacturing and plant safety, safe systems, health & safety methods, risk, reliability engineering, human error, human factors, disaster analysis, long term (chronic) health & quality of life.
BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING: clinical engineering, musculoskeletal biomechanics, medical devices.
DESIGN, ANALYSIS AND MANUFACTURING: lean, minimisation of waste, plant simulation, production engineering, environmental issues, life cycle assessment, engineering design, finite element analysis, commissioning.
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING: requirements analysis, engineering project management, V processes, commissioning.
FOUNDATIONAL MECHANICS: physics theory development at the sub-particle level (no supervision offered).
I offer supervision to PhD and Masters students.
- Aust J. and Pons D. (2019) Taxonomy of Gas Turbine Blade Defects. Aerospace 6(5): 58-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/aerospace6050058.
- Bagalkot A., Pons D., Symons D. and Clucas D. (2019) Categorization of failures in polymer rapid tools used for injection molding. Processes 7(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/pr7010017.
- Nestsiarovich K. and Pons D. (2019) Interaction Diagrams: Development of a Method for Observing Group Interactions. Behavioral sciences (Basel, Switzerland) 9(1) 5: 19. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/bs9010005.
- Niebert Blair 1,*., † [OrcID] , Dirk Pons 2., †., Susan Krumdieck 3,† [OrcID]. and Pons D. (2019) Electrification in Remote Communities: Assessing the Value of Electricity Using a Community Action Research Approach in Kabakaburi, Guyana. Sustainability http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su11092566.
- Pearce A. and Pons D. (2019) Advancing lean management: The missing quantitative approach. Operations Research Perspectives 6 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.orp.2019.100114.