Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include conservation biology (especially fragmentation and restoration ecology, significance assessment and threatened plant conservation) and integrated land management (especially involving biodiversity in agricultural and plantation forest systems). Current research focuses on integrating pastoral and biodiversity values in the South Island high country and includes projects looking at integrated management planning, habitat use by merino sheep, photomonitoring as a management tool, effects of different management actions on biodiversity. Other research projects include assessing the affects of subsidence resulting from underground coal-mining on podocarp-beech forest, mine-site restoration, and ecology, conservation and restoration of threatened plant species.
- Bilgili E., Coskuner KA., Baysal I., Ozturk M., Usta Y., Eroglu M. and Norton D. (2020) The distribution of pine mistletoe (Viscum album ssp. austriacum) in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) forests: from stand to tree level. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 35(1-2): 20-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02827581.2020.1729402.
- Forbes AS., Wallace KJ., Buckley HL., Case BS., Clarkson BD. and Norton DA. (2020) Restoring mature-phase forest tree species through enrichment planting in New Zealand’s lowland landscapes. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 44(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.20417/nzjecol.44.10.
- Norton DA., Suryaningrum F., Buckley HL., Case BS., Hamish Cochrane C., Forbes AS. and Harcombe M. (2020) Achieving win-win outcomes for pastoral farming and biodiversity conservation in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 44(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.20417/nzjecol.44.15.
- Teixeira AMC., Curran TJ., Jameson PE., Meurk CD. and Norton DA. (2020) Post-fire resprouting in New Zealand woody vegetation: Implications for restoration. Forests 11(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/f11030269.
- Meiforth JJ., Buddenbaum H., Hill J., Shepherd J. and Norton DA. (2019) Detection of New Zealand kauri trees with AISA aerial hyperspectral data for use in multispectral monitoring. Remote Sensing 11(23) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs11232865.