My research interests are predominantly focused towards bioengineering and mobile robotics.
Within bioengineering, my primary interest is in model-based therapeutics, which is at the intersection of engineering, clinical medicine, and physiology. I am involved with the modelling, sensing, and control of dynamic physiological systems for clinical medicine, especially in the critical care environment. My research has particular emphasis on solutions that provide significant, improved clinical outcomes for patients and reduced cost/effort for clinicians. Examples of my current research activities in this area include:
• Cardiac output modelling
• Blood glucose control
• Optimal mechanical ventilation
• Blood oxygenation monitoring
At the intersection of bioengineering and mobile robotics, my research involves assistive robotics, particularly for stroke rehabilitation. A specific focus in this area is the integration and interaction of the users muscles with external actuators in a hybrid system to reduce weight and cost, and enable new rehabilitation strategies.
My mobile robotics research also includes accurate localisation methods, inspection, and collaborative robotics involving unmanned aerial, ground, and underwater vehicles.
- Abu-Samah A., Knopp JL., Abdul Razak NN., Razak AA., Jamaludin UK., Mohamad Suhaimi F., Md Ralib A., Mat Nor MB., Chase JG. and Pretty CG. (2019) Model-based glycemic control in a Malaysian intensive care unit: performance and safety study.. Med Devices (Auckl) 12: 215-226. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/MDER.S187840.
- Amies AC., Pretty C., Rodgers G. and Chase G. (2019) Experimental Validation of a Radar-based Structural Health Monitoring System. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics : 1-1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tmech.2019.2934091.
- de Bournonville S., Pironet A., Pretty C., Chase JG. and Desaive T. (2019) Parameter estimation in a minimal model of cardio-pulmonary interactions. Mathematical Biosciences 313: 81-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mbs.2019.05.003.
- Ismail HM., Pretty CG., Signal MK., Amies AC., Haggers M. and Geoffrey Chase J. (2019) Laser doppler vibrometer validation of an optical flow motion tracking algorithm. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 49: 322-327. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2018.12.017.
- Ismail HM., Pretty CG., Signal MK., Haggers M. and Chase JG. (2019) Attributes, performance, and gaps in current & emerging breast cancer screening technologies. Current Medical Imaging Reviews 15(2): 122-131. http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1573405613666170825115032.