My research focuses primarily on seismic response analysis for geotechnical and structural systems and the computational tools necessary to perform such analyses. I am interested in the development and application of advanced numerical models towards understanding earthquake-related phenomena, such as liquefaction, how the built environment responds to earthquakes, and how best to design resilient infrastructure that meets performance expectations. On the computational side, my work includes the development and implementation of finite element formulations, constitutive models, and numerical solution techniques.
- De La Torre C., Bradley B., Stewart J. and McGann C. (2022) Can modelling soil heterogeneity in 2D site response improve predictions at vertical array sites? Earthquake Spectra Published Online August 5, 2022 http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/87552930221105107.
- de la Torre CA., Bradley BA. and McGann CR. (2022) 2D Geotechnical site-response analysis including soil heterogeneity and wave scattering. Earthquake Spectra 38(2): 1124-1147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/87552930211056667.
- McGann CR., Bradley BA., Wotherspoon LM. and Lee RL. (2021) Basin effects and limitations of 1D site response analysis from 2D numerical models of the thorndon basin. Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 54(1): 21-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.5459/bnzsee.54.1.21-30.
- Zhou H., Wotherspoon LM., Hayden CP., McGann CR., Stolte A. and Haycock I. (2021) Assessment of Existing SPT-CPT Correlations Using a New Zealand Database. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 147(11) http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002650.
- McGann CR. (2020) Parametric Assessment of Equivalent Static Procedure Accounting for Foundation-Pinning Effects in Analysis of Piled Bridge Abutments Subject to Lateral Spreading. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 146(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002295.