UC Partnerships With Schools
We are keen to advance partnerships with selected schools/EC settings so that we can jointly enhance the development of future generations of teachers. We highly value the skills and knowledge of teachers who mentor our students while they are on Professional Practice. We would like to reward your efforts and work together to enhance the teaching profession.
There are mutual benefits of working collaboratively. We want our students to have exemplary experiences on professional practices and to strengthen the support and guidance they receive to help ensure New Zealand has highly capable, reflective beginning teachers.
We want to work with teachers who are willing to sustain continued mentoring of our students and we invite your school to consider engaging in further discussions with us about being part of this exciting initiative.
How partnerships work
- Challenge ourselves to provide world class student learning experiences
- Concentrate on strengthening and enhancing relationships amongst educators who are committed to reflective practice and ongoing professional renewal
- Connect those in education communities to promote and co-construct shared values, goals and aspirations for teaching and learning.
Schools/EC settings are invited to send us their expression of interest.
For school/EC settings
Professional Development opportunities:
- Nutrition and training seminars
- Mentoring and coaching
- Reflective practice
- Bicultural practice
- Opportunity to participate with ITE students in a variety of experiences
- International Project collaborations
- Partnerships with schools for research
- Prestige Lecture Series (e.g. International Visiting Researchers)
- Graham Nuthall seminars on Teaching and Learning
- Access to University of Canterbury library
UC Partnerships with Schools Library resources visitor request form (DOC, 80KB)
- Facilities for teachers’ conferences
- Laboratory testing for senior physical education groups
- Training partners for Sports Academies
- Jack Mann Auditorium (special hire rates)
For the university
- Benefit from associate teachers sharing their expertise with initial teacher education students
- Education sector feedback
- Project/Research collaborations with interested schools/EC settings
Eligible for competitive 50% Fees scholarships to complete one course towards an MEd, PGDipEd or PGCertEd
The wider University also offers opportunities for your staff and students. Examples of opportunities include:
- Science Outreach programme
- HIT Lab NZ -Science lab facilities
- College of Engineering School Resources
- School of Business and Economics Outreach Programme
- Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource (STAR) courses available to help schools provide extension programmes, by way of tertiary level courses, to their Year 12 and 13 students
- UC Pacific Development Team Outreach Programme
To see the full archive, please visit The Prestige Lecture Series Archive page.