Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests are in mathematics education and initial/pre-service teacher education. In maths education I explore classroom experiences of students, particularly in the years 7-10 (11 to 14 year olds). My theoretical perspective is that classroom activity is distributed over three domains: classroom social norms, mathematical tools including representations, and social interaction. Recently I have co-researched with early childhood and Year 1 teachers in a Ministry of Education project exploring connecting mathematical practices across early childhood and the first years of primary school. I also write in the area of maths curriculum, reconceptualising content in terms of mathematical practices. A recent focus has been on curriculum and progression of learning in the early years, and at years 7-10.
In initial teacher education, I am a co-researcher in a long term project investigating the planning practices of pre-service teachers, during course work and during practicum. A particular focus is using approximations and decompositions of teaching practices in mathematics education. I also work with teachers in early years, primary and secondary classrooms up to Year 10.
- McChesney J. and Carr M. (2021) Connecting expectations of Te Whāriki and The New Zealand Curriculum: Examples of mathematical practices. Teachers and Curriculum 21(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.15663/tandc.v21i1.358.
- McChesney J. and Carr M. (2021) Connecting expectations of Te Whāriki and The New Zealand Curriculum: Examples of mathematical practices. Teachers and Curriculum 21(1) 2: 9-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.15663/tandc.v21i1.358.
- Thomas B., Mackay K., Stephenson N. and McChesney J. (2021) From early childhood to the first year of school: Connecting practices for mathematics learning and teaching. Set: research information for teachers.
- Bailey J. and McChesney J. (2020) Purposeful problem solving practices in Te Kākano. Early Childhood Folio 24(2).
- Downton A., MacDonald A., Cheeseman J., Russo J. and McChesney J. (2020) Mathematics learning and education from birth to eight years. In Way J; Attard C; Anderson J; Bobis J; McMaster H; Cartwright K (Ed.), Research in Mathematics Education in Australasia 2016-2019: 209-244. Singapore: Springer. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4269-5.