Research interests are in the areas of health and physical education.
- Dyson B., Cowan J., Gordon B., Powell D. and Shulruf B. (2017) Physical education in Aotearoa New Zealand primary schools. European Physical Education Review Online First: 20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1356336X17698083.
- Astall C. and Cowan J. (2016) Experiences of Using Wiki as a Participatory Learning Tool in Teacher Education. American Journal of Educational Research 4(6): 459-471. http://dx.doi.org/10.12691/education-4-6-4.
- Cowan J. and Culpan I. (2016) Influences on self-worth: Students' and teachers' perspectives. Curriculum Matters 12: 61-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/cm.0014.
- Cowan J. and Culpan I. (2016) Influencing self worth: teachers' and students' perspectives. Curriculum Matters (in review).
- Dyson B., Gordon B., Cowan J. and McKenzie A. (2016) External providers and their impact on primary physical education in aotearoa/New Zealand. Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport and Physical Education 7(1): 3-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/18377122.2016.1145426.