Dr. McNeill is an international expert on literacy development in children with childhood apraxia of speech. Her prospective study of the validity and nature of childhood apraxia of speech has been supported by a Fast-Start Marsden grant from the Royal Society of New Zealand. Her research also focuses on developing and evaluating methods to better prepare teachers to support children’s early literacy development. Dr. McNeill is on the management team of the New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain and Behaviour and leads its language acquisition research theme.
Active research includes:
1. Childhood apraxia of speech;
2. Phonological awareness intervention for children with speech and language difficulty;
2. Classroom spelling instruction practices;
3. The effectiveness of primary teacher education graduates in facilitating literacy learning in at risk populations;
4. Predictors of reading success
- Schluter PJ., Audas R., Kokaua J., McNeill B., Taylor B., Milne B. and Gillon G. (2020) The Efficacy of Preschool Developmental Indicators as a Screen for Early Primary School-Based Literacy Interventions. Child Development 91(1): e59-e76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/cdev.13145.
- Scott A., McNeill B. and van Bysterveldt A. (2020) Teenage mothers’ language use during shared reading: an examination of quantity and quality. Child Language Teaching and Therapy http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0265659020903769.
- Gautam S., Everatt J., Sadeghi A. and McNeill B. (2019) Multiliteracy in Akshara and alphabetic orthographies: The case of Punjabi, Hindi and English learners in primary schools in Punjab. In Joshi RM; McBride C (Ed.), Handbook of Literacy in Akshara Orthography: 139-160. Cham: Springer International Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-05977-4_8.
- Gillon G., McNeill B. and Scott A. (2019) Better Start Literacy Approach: Advancing foundational early literacy skills in all children. Christchurch, New Zealand: NZ Resource Teachers Literacy Conference, 24-27 Sep 2019.
- Gillon G., McNeill B., Scott A., Denston A., Carson K. and Macfarlane A. (2019) Word reading and spelling development in children who enter school with known challenges to their literacy learning. Taipei, Taiwan: 31st World Congress of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics,, 18 Aug-22 Oct 2019.